Dentist

How old was your LO when they went to a dentist? My pediatrician for my son made him an appointment? He only has 2 teeth and he’ll be 7 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that is spot on. you're supposed to take them when the 1st tooth erupts or the very latest 1st b-day.

Some dentists "refuse" to see kids before age 3. It's a great business plan because by then the child might need sedation ($$$$$) and have cavities ($$$$$$) and so on.

Sounds like u have a loving pediatrician.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:57 PM on May. 13, 2011

• my first was 4..not one cavity or anything wrong with his teeth :) he actually loved it haha..my second goes on the 1st of june..he will be 11 months and has 4 teeth :) they recomend now before the age 1..seems silly but the dentist are probably tired of getting bitten and screaming kids so they figure get them use to it even younger ;)
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:57 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I've heard of that but when I asked our family physician about it, she said when all her teeth (up to first year molars) were in unless there appeared to be an issue. We've taken our daughter to the dentist with us. She'll have her own appointment alongside ours (family appointment) within 6 months. She's just turned 3 and everything seems fine. We'll learn if waiting is going to cost but I'm guessing it won't. The dentist office certainly didn't encourage pushing the appointment any earlier.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 3:05 PM on May. 13, 2011

• the American Academy of Pediatrics put the advisement into place about the 1st tooth eruption or 1st b-day at the latest. So IMO any pediatrician who closely follows those guidelines is really top notch

you have to realize that by the time you "see" dental problems it's way too late to repair. It's a preventative measure and a learning tool for the parents. It's also getting kids used to the sites, sounds, smells of a dental office EARLY and before separation anxiety and phobias begin .... there's gobs of Moms on cafemom who have 4-5 year olds getting caps, root canals, etc now for preventable stuff.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:20 PM on May. 13, 2011

• my insurance wont cover it until my dd is 2 so we have to wait! i would of loved to take her at 1 tho! she has 16 teeth!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:56 PM on May. 13, 2011

• 1 yr
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 5:52 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My dentist said that he wants our little one to start flouride drops at the age of 6 months, but he's going to call in the prescription rather than need to see the baby.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:15 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I think they should go between 2 and 3. That seems crazy young to me.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:03 PM on May. 13, 2011