Is this something that I shouldn't be so sad about...

My SO and I will be separated for 2 years in different cities while we finish college. We will be 400 miles away and although we can visit, I will miss him dearly.
He lives with me now, finally, after being separated this same distance for work reasons. He was gone for a year from what we call home. Why would he say "woah is me" to me which is a saying that means "oh you feel so sorry for yourself, you're so dramatic", but shouldn't he be sad too? He said he's not sad because we haven't gotten there yet. I look ahead to see what's coming, so I know I will be without him while i am in nursing school. I am sad, can you make me feel better, or how can I make myself feel better.. this life plan won't make me happy, but i have to do it to accompish my goals. 

Liz4Life

Asked by Liz4Life at 2:59 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• Only you can make yourself happy by enjoying what you have right now. To future trip will take any joy you could be having this moment. Just be glad you found each other and change your thinking, it will change your emotions. Only you have the power to do that .. :-) I guess I can help you to feel better by telling you to count your blessings, you will have a degree, you are not in a wheelchair, you can see and hear. You have a great life ahead of you. With sacrifice comes a better road, just hang on, stay tough and sieze whatever you can when you can....
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 3:11 PM on May. 13, 2011

• id like to make you feel better but i don't understand your question. what's "woah is me" ?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:00 PM on May. 13, 2011

• So your sad and he isn't and you are wondering why it is that way? I think you are right. Guys are more in the moment. It isn't here yet so he doesn't have to think about it. We, on the other hand are usually more emotional and think (sometimes dwell) on what is coming. I don't know if I can make you feel better, but just try to focus on the time you do have together before you are apart again. You don't want to ruin what could be good memories by being sad all the time. :)
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 3:04 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I am not sure
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:20 PM on May. 13, 2011

• "Woe is me" is like you said, a phrase that laments as if feeling sorry for oneself. If you don't really understand why he is saying it now, best to come out and ask so no surprises later.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 7:31 PM on May. 13, 2011