Ohio boys are suspended for "tooting" on the bus. What are your thoughts on this stinky situation?

An Ohio seventh-grader was suspended last week for doing arguably the most predictable thing a 13-year-old boy could do for a laugh on the school bus. He cut the cheese.

Canal Winchester Middle School students Anthony Nichols and another boy lost their bus privileges on Friday for their stinky stunt, which prompted the customary rousing laughter and "lowering of windows," according to the Columbus Dispatch.

Administrators ruled that the flatulence was in violation of the school's code of conduct, but if you ask Nichols' parents, the decision reeks of poor judgement.

"It's very laughable, that's what it is," said Anthony's father, James Nichols. He said he spoke with the school's vice principal, Daniel Senu-Oke, who "suggested my son should hold his gas on this hour-long bus ride."

http://weirdnews.aol.com/2011/05/12/boy-suspended-for-farting_n_861014.html

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 3:04 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL, YSK. You are so punny!

IDK about the whole losing bus privileges thing. I don't know how you make rules against body functions. Even if it were completely on purpose I guess I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like anyone's hair was on fire or anything.

Hahaha - fart in - pretty funny sweet.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:41 PM on May. 13, 2011

• If flatulence is against school policy, they could have a lawsuit. Its not healthy to hold it in all day....

Kids should stage a "FART IN" protest

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:32 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I have a feeling that there's more to the story. I bet it wasn't just "innocent farting". lol I find farts quite hilarious myself. But I also have a son and know very well what he's capable of.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:07 PM on May. 13, 2011

• it's awful now a days how the little things in life can bring you down, poor child. My 2 year old says he poops in said of farts and it's cute.
    millerx5

Answer by millerx5 at 3:38 PM on May. 13, 2011

• First, I find the fart-in to be a most excellent suggestion.

Secondly, I agree that making a bodily function against school policy may well end up in a lawsuit.

Third, is it ok to call the school admin dumber than a bag of rocks, or are we locked in to something along the lines of intelligence deprived or common sense dead?

All that being said, IF the kids were sticking their tooters in someone's face it would fall under rude and I wouldn't mind seeing the booted off the bus and told to figure out a way to toot-power a scooter to school ... or something. That might at least separate those who are just stinky and those who are truly full of hot air.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:23 PM on May. 13, 2011

• The article just made me want to laugh and shake my head at the same time. I mean seriously..passing gas is a violation of the school's code of conduct? I can't help but wonder if a belch is also a suspendable offense.
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 3:05 PM on May. 13, 2011

• On CafeMom we consider the word ‘retard’ to be a slur against people with disabilities. We have learned from moms offended by this word, often mothers of children with disabilities, that they feel its use perpetuates a stigma against those who are handicapped. While we understand that the use of the word in this thread was not intended to offend, we ask that you keep these moms in mind and refrain from posting it on CafeMom.

//The CafeMom Admin Team
    CafeMom Admin

Answer by CafeMom Admin at 3:41 PM on May. 13, 2011

• It isn't often I agree with you sweet, but this time I do. I remember having terrible problems at the end of my second pregnancy. I was so afraid one was going to "slip" while I was out somewhere...it was so embarrassing.

yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 3:43 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I agree with PP completely, and I laugh at my 6 yo when he farts for cryin out loud it's not a crime to fart. The kid may have been farting on people, like sitting on them or something, maybe even bending over in someone's face, but even that I don't think should be grounds for what "administrators" did what a bunch of retards.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:16 PM on May. 13, 2011