I have a really weird question about an Archangel....

I'm a fan of this show called Supernatural. my favorite character in the series is an Archangel named Castiel. There are a few other angels like Gabriel and Michael mentioned so I started wondering if the chcaracter Castiel was based off a real angel.(I am an eclectic Wiccan-Witch but I do have faith in angels existing) it turns out he was based off of an Archangel named Cassiel.

I've been looking up a lot of information on him and one of the things I keep reading over and over again on different websites is that he is an angel of peace and harmony but also burdened with solitude and tears a melancholy angel.

what I dont understand is why would the Christian view of God(or for me personally why would my view of God and the Goddess) create an angel of solitude and tears??? I get the peace and harmony part. but why would there ever be an angel solitude and tears?

flower_angel

Asked by flower_angel at 3:05 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Bible does not support the name of many specific angels. There are a few named in the Bible, Lucifer or Satan, and Michael being the only two besides Gabriel that come to mind immediately. There are angels mentioned in some portions but but by name usually. Personally, I don't think Castiel is one spoken of in the Bible. Remember that Hollywood will do anything for the ratings!
    dkvhensley

Answer by dkvhensley at 3:23 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Although Cassiel, which you said Supernatural's Castiel is based off of, is not mentioned in the Bible. But Cassiel is mentioned in Kabbalistic traditions as well as in the Catholic list of the Seven Archangels of the Seventh Heaven. I think that the reason that Cassiel is the angel of solitude and tears is the same reason that the Greeks had a God of Death and Underworld. They had to have an entity that those who are solitary and melancholy can relate to. It's the same as the Saints. Each saint is over a specific area so that if you need help in that particular area you pray to that particular saint. The same with angels, you need to do battle over evil you call upon Michael. Hope that answered your question.
    unbrokenhellmus

Answer by unbrokenhellmus at 4:05 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I also don't remembering reading about that angel in the bible, but the peace and harmony but also solitude and tears to me is like a test becomes a testimony, after sorrow comes joy, after the rain you can see a rainbow and ect.
    millerx5

Answer by millerx5 at 4:23 PM on May. 13, 2011

• It's not Biblical. The only angels mentioned by name in Scripture are Michael (warrior angel), Gabriel (messenger angel), and Lucifer (fallen angel). Also, the Bible says there are no tears in heaven...I believe that goes for angels too. Unbrokenhellmus' answer makes alot of sense I think.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:33 PM on May. 13, 2011

• An angel is an angel and they come as both light and dark. But the world isn't a nice place and you need ALL kinds of angels to deal with it, not just the inspirational, up-lifting ones. Not just the ones who do wonderful things like help people. Dark emotions and dark entities need to be taken care of and you may need an angel with a hard edge to deal with those things. Every angel has a purpose and a job to do. And those tasks are not always nice ones! It doesn't make them less than angels. Nor does it make them the sole property of Judeo-christianity.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:26 AM on May. 14, 2011

• ty witchqueen nuff said
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 7:15 PM on May. 14, 2011