Did you know that as a white person, you can go to a HBCU for free?

Ellen Pompeo from Grey's Anatomy thinks that we should get rid of HBCUs (historically black colleges and universities).

However I feel that they are still very much needed! Historically many white universities would not allow for a black person to attend their colleges, so we built our own. Now out of a sense of pride many African Americans continue to attend these colleges. And did you know that as a white person, since they are considered a minority on campus, they can go for free?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:55 PM on May. 13, 2011 in

• i did not know that thanks for info
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 3:56 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Yep, just like many black people get a free ride to many colleges that are mainly white.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:01 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Can you please send me a link to that information? I have several white friends who went to Hampton University, and Virginia State University and I can PROMISE you they didn't go for free. One of them got a minority scholarship but I assure you there are plenty of people of EVERY color who get minority scholarships.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 4:16 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I'm confused. Why all the hostility? It is generally known that colleges want to promote diversity, so the less prominent your race is on campus, the more likely you will get a scholarship based on race. That goes both ways.

It sounds like you are upset that you didn't get a free ride.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:26 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I did not know that....learn something new everyday =)
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:56 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes that's been in existence for a while.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 4:02 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I was looking for a way to pay for my girl's college. This might be the answer. (just in care it is too subtle...insert levity here)

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 4:05 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Okay Candi, sometimes some black people will get a scholarships . My question was did you know that white people can get a free ride at a HBCU?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 4:08 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Well college is expensive, if you dont want your kid to go to a Historically black college, that's fine but: HBCUs, like most American universities, hope to increase diversity on their campuses, and many are actively recruiting White and Latino students.

As a result, the percentage of White students attending HBCUs has increased over 70% in the last decade

35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 4:10 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Also I received no scholarship when I went to a white school.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 4:11 PM on May. 13, 2011