Undies vs. Pullups

I'm going to start potty training my 2 year old son next week and was curious as to whether I should put him to bed in underwear or in a night time pullup. I was thinking it would be best to go straight undies all the way, but then again I'm not sure. This is my first born and I have never done this before.

What did you do, would you have done things differently and how were your results?

Any information would be appreciated and very helpful for us! Thanks!!

TexasMama2Boys

Asked by TexasMama2Boys at 3:57 PM on May. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I went to undies during the day. No exceptions. I stayed home for 3 days. But at night I stuck with the pull ups or a diaper. Night training can take longer. Years longer. There bladders have to be ready. Just wait until he wakes up dry for a week, then take the night time diaper away.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:59 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My DD was in a diaper until she was 'trained' then went to panties in the day and used pull-ups at night but we call them 'night time panties'.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:01 PM on May. 13, 2011

• we did undies all day and night....he had night time accidents for a week then stopped having them at night unless he was on meds or sick. he still has some accidents during the day, abou once a week or less, and he has one a night maybe once a mont
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 4:16 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I went straight to undies. For our family it was just best for us to make that decision. after 3 nights of waking up cold and wet they caught on and would get up to potty. But i recommend trying both methods and go with whatever is best for you, your family and your 2yr old. Take care and remember patience and extra sheets are key lol good luck momma

timbrikaylamom

Answer by timbrikaylamom at 5:14 PM on May. 13, 2011

• we did undies during the day and a diaper at night, I've heard some people have issues breaking from pull-ups, we like the diaper plus our lo's have never went past a size 3.
    millerx5

Answer by millerx5 at 5:21 PM on May. 13, 2011

• never used pullups they are a waist of money I think. But for my first I used undies only while potty training at home if we went somewhere she went in a diaper until she got better at it. She was potty trainede at 19 months old, but wore a diaper to bed until she was 26 months old. My youngest has stayed dry at bedtime since she was 12 months old. So she wore diapers to bed only until she was finished potty training. She was completely broke by 21 months old. She would have been at 16 months old, but got really sick so we had to stop for a while until she got better. Most kids don't learn the night thing until ater though.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:24 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Once they were potty trained we went to underwear at night, but when I changed their sheets I always put a large waterproof pad and an extra sheet on top of their fitted sheet - that way if they had an accident all I had to do was change their clothes and pull off the top sheet and pad. If they had more than one accident in the night, we were stuck but that didn't happen much.

Answer by missanc at 5:30 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I let them go naked while potty training. Pull ups at night.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 10:25 PM on May. 13, 2011