I have a 9 year old in puberty thinking it's cool to be a bad boy. What now?

I need help with out 9 1/2 year old. I think puberty has a lot to do with it but I need help to straighten him out. He's getting so mouthy and to top it off he has made a few new friends at school that are known for trouble. He absolutely idolizes them. :( So not only am I dealing with him and his hormones at home he's getting in trouble at school. The teacher has separated him from the "ring leader" as much as possible in class and he's been fine. He is still running with the kid at lunch, recess, etc. and getting in trouble at those times though. He's getting so mouthy and disrespectful. ANY advice? I just feel at a loss here. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Do you know any cops that could mess with him a little? Take him to a jail for a "tour". Sounds cruel and corny but idk what else would work besides grounding, taking away things he likes, etc...
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 5:32 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Does he have a positive male role model? Perhaps he needs a "good man" to look up to. I'm not aware of his family structure, but if his Dad isn't in the picture isn't a positive role model, then consider involving him in activities/sports/clubs with good upstanding men, so that he can start to look up to them instead. If his Dad is in the picture, then maybe he needs some more one on one time with him. HTH
    Anonymous

• DH and I are going through the same thing
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 8:05 AM on May. 14, 2011

• My kids get grounded when they get mouthy. Video games are the first thing to go. Have you told him you don't want him hanging around those boys? Not a whole lot you can do unless the teachers are willing to keep them apart. It is a rough age you would think that things would get easier as they grow. Little kids, little problem - Big kids, Big Problems. Good luck stay strong!

1to8allboys

Answer by 1to8allboys at 12:42 AM on May. 15, 2011

• oh my I have a son the same age and was attempting to do the same thing; what we did is(we have neighbors that are cps so this worked great for us) we had the cops come to the house and tell him that he needed to go downtown with them for some questioning about some things that had been happening.

We played along and let him take a "ride" in the police car and then we went down to "bail" him out and since then we haven't had any of these problems with him. It put a scare into him; but it doesn't work with all kids. Grounding him taking away things or making him do extra things around the house didn't work for us we tried that first. Good luck and God Bless
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:17 AM on May. 16, 2011