Do you have the same career ambitions/drive as your mother?

Young women have a clear discomfort mimicking their workaholic boomer moms, but those that had stay-at-home mothers don’t necessarily want that path either.  Hewlett found that boomers’ black-or-white vision of work—opt in and go full throttle or opt out and never have a career—is too constricting a philosophy for Gen Y women.  Instead, the youngest female workers tend to give equal emphasis to family and career.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-leadership/post/not-your-mothers-ambition/2011/03/03/AFf8cc2G_blog.html?hpid=z7

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:34 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• My mom was a stay at home since her first kid and never went back to work. She's in her 70's now.
    I worked after high school and after i married and even after having my kids until I moved 2 yrs ago. They are 11 and 9. I also have more goals then my mom did and see things differently as well. I'm looking into getting back into the work force. I don't think I can be a SAHM forever like my mom. There is more to life then home and family.
    SnapIt

Answer by SnapIt at 7:16 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I'm a Gen Xer, and I am a FTWM of one child. My mom was a SAHM of 3.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:36 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I work full time with three kids, always have. My mother was SAHM of four girls, and went back when baby sister was 16 just for something to do :) My mother is in her 50s and I'm in my 20s
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:41 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I have a much different approach to and for life than my mother had.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:42 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I am a boomer and heard about that black and white philosophy, but never embraced it. I guess I was a woman of the future. I had my first son as a married college freshman to another freshman. Born in early summer, I took off the three months from school to be with him. Then I went back to classes the next year, so he was with his father or a sitter the part-time hours I was away. In my junior and senior years I was working part-time and going to school, leaving my son at the sitter's full-time. After graduation I did freelance work, primarily from home, several years. For awhile I had some part time office jobs, but by this time we had a second son. Later I did child care in my home with my youngest and two little girls and taught preschool lessons to the three of them. When the youngest reached middle school, I was employed full time in an office to help buy things our boys needed. Mama was a waitress after SAHM.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 4:58 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I have a BA in Education along with graduate coursework in SPED, and a career as a teacher. My mother was a SAH for 25 years, and never finished HS. She encouraged me, along with my father, to get a good education and go into a career of my choosing. She struggled a bit after her and my dad divorced, so she really wishes she had SOMETHING to fall back on. She began working in an animal shelter, and manages it today. It is stressful and pays next to nothing though. She does it for the animals, and works hard. :)
    Anonymous

• my mom is a factory workers and worked a lot when we were kids. she had big plans for my brother and i to become blue collar workers like her. imagine her disappointment when we both went to college. I'm actually serious, i think she was disappointed that we didn't follow in her foot steps and she didn't seem proud that we graduated from college. it was really odd! My brother and I still talk about it. I think she thinks that we look down on her or think we are better... idk!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 5:11 PM on May. 13, 2011

• my mom was a sahm until we were in school. I am planning to do the same
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:45 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My mom was a SAHM for 20 years. Then she got a full time job when I started school.
    I have a BS in engineering and work 40 hours a week. Is that workaholic?
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 8:15 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I am complete opposite of my mother and every bit like my father.  My mother never worked a day in her life. My father a workaholic, loved his career with a passion but at the same time wanted to make certain my mother did not have to work.  She was always home for us, we could count on that.  Dinner was every night at 6:00 p.m. no matter what.  Me on the other hand.....workaholic with 3 kids and a great husband.

dukester050128

Answer by dukester050128 at 2:45 PM on May. 14, 2011