Have any of you ever been on anti-depressants?

Hi moms,

I am very open to the fact that I struggled with postpartum depression after the birth of both my daughters. With my first daughter I got through it miracoulosly with no meds but after the birth of my second daughter I had high anxiety and had to go on Zoloft. After about a year Zoloft did not seem as effective so my meds were changed to Effexor. Effexor has had a number of side effects for me- the two most bothersome being lathargic and emotionless so I did the stupid and came off Effexor (yes cold turkey, I know) . I love the way I feel without antidepressants - I'm more loving with my daughters, I laugh more, more energitic but the downside is I can't focus and my anxiety is overwhelming. I wanted to know if any of you have experience with anti depressants and if so what worked for you? Are you better with or with out them?

kittymom83

Asked by kittymom83 at 5:04 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Health

• I took lexapro for a couple of months. The time that I was taking them my mind was so clouded it was hard think, or care for that matter. I quit cold turkey, and I feel better than ever.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 5:07 PM on May. 13, 2011

• i took zoloft with no side effects for my PPD
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:17 PM on May. 13, 2011

• i never had ppd. i took lexapro for a couple months when i was 17 after my first love broke up with me. i was beyond heartbroken and just wanted to die so i was put on them. they actually made it worse. i ended up getting through it on my own and learning a lot that your first love will not be your only love and broken hearts do heal.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:23 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I've been on Lexapro and Zoloft. Lexapro wasn't for me; it made me worse and it was scary! The Zoloft works wonders, tho. It's all about your brain chemestry on what works for you or not. Take what your doctor recommends, but if it isn't working after a month or so, consult with the doctor and see if you should try something else. Good luck.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 5:34 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Magnesium deficiency is a potential cause for anxiety and every type of depression, including post-partum depression. It is important in the serotonin story (serotonin is the body's natural feel good brain chemical) because it is a necessary element in the release and uptake of serotonin by brain cells. The pharmaceutical industry's SSRIs create artificially elevated levels of serotonin by preventing its breakdown and elimination so serotonin lingers longer in the brain BUT it can cause dangerous reactions to the manipulation of brain chemicals.

Any treatment protocol should begin with adequate doses of magnesium; most often, antidepressants will not be required once magnesium levels normalize. Talk to your doctor. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all the comments. I really want to have a life without them. I just wonder sometimes if I am making the right choice in coming off them because now I can't seem to focus at work and I feel so weird and self conscious like if people can see right through me. All of a sudden I feel so insecure of myself. I am even acting weird and paranoid around people... I think I might just get back on them and if I ever want to come off them just ween like I am suppose to - that seems like the logical thing to do????
    kittymom83

Comment by kittymom83 (original poster) at 5:52 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I've been on Zoloft a few times, Prozac one time, and am now on Celexa and about to go off of it due to my pregnancy. The Zoloft wasn't all that great for me and only worked for a short time. It worked a lot better when I was taking a really small dose instead of the larger one. But I quit the Zoloft too quickly the last time and had some really weird and long lasting side effects from it. I was too dizzy all the time to even be able to drive. The Prozac just made me feel crazy and really scared me. I haven't been on the Celexa all that long, about 4 months, and it has really helped a lot with the anxiety and I have a lot more energy and motivation to do things than before. My Dr will let me stay on it through my pregnancy if I want but I worry that it could harm the baby since it's in the same category as Paxil which had been proven to cause birth defects.
    Anonymous

• I have been on them since the birth of my 2nd child. Started with Prozac, worked well but after a couple of years I wanted a normal sex life so they changed it to Wellbutrin. Been on it since. Works well.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:40 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Also, I didn't get on them because of ppd but my undiagnosed depression was worsened with pregnancy. I have tried to get off twice with no luck. I can't go more than 3 months. I just take it and am glad I have a life.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:43 PM on May. 13, 2011