Is this Irish public service announcement against child abuse too graphic?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/13/ispcc-releases-controvers_n_861638.html

There has got to be a better way to get the point across ...

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:09 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I like it. Too many people turn a blind eye. This is what reality is. It may not change the minds of those who abuse kids, but it might spur those who are complacent about it into action. Maybe someone will stop ignoring the cries through the shared wall and call the police.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 8:30 PM on May. 13, 2011

• No I don't think it's too graphic,,, not even close when you hear some of the things children had endured. I think it's very powerful.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 9:02 PM on May. 13, 2011

• No. Being raised by a scrapper, if not changed, the child will become a scrapper himself. And yes, there is probably a better way to get the point about preventing child abuse across.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 5:13 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I question how effective it is in terms of someone who already does that to their kids. They probably cheer for the dad, muttering all the while how the kid deserves it for talking back.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:28 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I was abused my entire childhood & I think this is a good ad. It wasnt unbareable to watch & it got the point across real well. People need to see the ugly truth of what is really going on with children who are abused. I spent so many years begging friends parents for help only for them to call me a liar bc my mother pinned me as one to them then continued to abuse me. Not only do they need to have ones like this for physical abuse but mental abuse as well, people dont fully grasp what exactly mental abuse is sometimes. If ads like this help out just a couple of chlidren they are worth it.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 5:32 PM on May. 13, 2011

• oh those crazy Irish...
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:35 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Anything goes when it comes to getting the public eye.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 8:53 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I think it'd graphic enough to be powerful. You should be uncomfortable about child abuse.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:14 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Very graphic anti-drunk driving TV ads were also shown in the British Isles a few years back-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:55 AM on May. 14, 2011