School Evacuation?

Would you evacuate the WHOLE school just because a mercury thermometer broke in one classroom? Yes I understand the dangers of mercury, but seriously isn't evacuating the WHOLE school over kill just because ONE mercury thermometer broke in ONE classroom.

They after eventually let everyone back in but closed that classroom for the rest of the day. Wouldn't it have made sense to just evacuated that classroom??

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 5:33 PM on May. 13, 2011 in

• I would think that just the one classroom would be enough too. I remember in jr high the teacher broke a mercury thermometer on purpose and we all passed it around and held it in our hands and played with it. But I guess that was before they decided it was dangerous.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 5:46 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Heck yeah, mercury was fun to play with as a kid. My dad had a container from his mining days.

Totally seems like overkill to evacuate even the classroom. (They could have just called me to pick it up for them!)
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:10 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Lack of COMMON SENSE is prevalent in this day and age.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:07 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I think that was overboard.

I remember being in science class, and the teacher letting us all take turns to touch it, lol. I won't say how long ago that was.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:46 AM on May. 14, 2011