You actually think putting a piece of soap in someone's mouth is child abuse?

That's just too funny. It is not. You are more than welcome to go back to the bathroom and suck on a piece of soap too. It's not going to hurt you and it's not going to hurt your child. Do you not know that like 95% of children used to get their mouth's soaped out? It's not abuse. Where in the heck do you get this stuff? Where do you equal putting a bar of soap in someone's mouth equal to using force and shoving it down their throats? That makes no sense. Did you not see A Christmas Story. Come on, some of you moms just crack me up. No wonder our society is full of kids that are never punished. You are actually afraid to punish your own child. That's just sad. That is abuse, do you not know that? To not punish your own child and never teach them anything? No wonder our country is in the shape it is. If we leave everything to these undisciplined brats. It's scary.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Just for Fun

• It amazes me what some people consider abuse now anyway. My parents took in foster kids for most of my childhood. Those children knew what abuse was, and it was most definitely NOT a bar of soap.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:48 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't think it's child abuse at all, but I think you need to be wise with what soap you use. You shouldn't use soaps that have added fragrances and such. That being said, my issue with said issue wasnt the soap itself, it was the way she asked the question. If you truly think your kid is "dying" WHY would you take the time to go online to ask strangers what to do. It just doesn't make sense.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 5:46 PM on May. 13, 2011

• IMO abuse, maybe not... bad parenting strategy, absolutely!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 5:47 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Umm 95% of people USED to not use child restraints in cars and guess what, smart people realized it was dangerous! Putting soap in a childs mouth is dangerous because they could have a reaction, like the previous post. Just because people used to do something doesnt mean that it was or is ok! And there are more punishments than putting soap in the mouth.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 5:47 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I had my mouth washed out with soap when I was younger, I've never done it to my son but I'm not about to judge people who do. My son gets spanked if he needs it though. I agree that a lot of children go undisciplined. I've met tons of kids that their parents think by "talking to them" is going to make everything better. I don't think thats a proper way of discipline but its not my kid so its really not my place. I know I'm raising my son with respect and manners. He follows directions and listens to what he's being told. I've got a well behaved kid and I spanked him so apparently that worked for me.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 5:48 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I just pray that she is okay. I know many moms come on here asking if they should take their lo to the ER when they sick(I know I do). But common sense will tell you if her mouth and lips or swelling then it is time to get off the damn computer and call 911 or Poison Control instead of going through 20 something post to see if one of else has the best answer. That was my problem. If lips and mouth are swelling then there is a potential threat that her airways can also swell.

babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 5:55 PM on May. 13, 2011

• it's just plain stupid! Kids learn better when you come to child level and explain why lying is wrong? Talking does work, kids are not stupid, they are very smart.

I do believe in discipline, but I never had to beat my kids to do something. I believe in giving respect to a child, asking why they did something and what should be done.

Kids that are OVER or UNDER disciplined end up the same, Brattie.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 6:07 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I think the comment of going to jail made me giggle. LOL
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 5:43 PM on May. 13, 2011

• yeah you might be but many arent. and I dont think its abuse to put soap in a childs mouth, I wouldnt do it, but be smart about it and she sure as hell should be on cafemom to ask people what she should do!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 5:51 PM on May. 13, 2011

• To add to my answer regarding if it's abuse or not, obviously you should shove it down their throat or have them ingest it. The point of soap is for them to get a TASTE. A BAD TASTE that will just linger for a while as they rethink their choice of words (as I feel it should only be used when using innappropriate language).
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 5:53 PM on May. 13, 2011