Writing my birth plan...

I am starting to think about writing up my birth plan, and I'm not really sure what Im supposed to write or the things I need to think about. I know I want drugs, and I know I do not want a C-section. What other things do I need to be thinking about and include in my birth plan?

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 5:42 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It depends on what is important to you. Include things like who you want with you, if you are breastfeeding, do you want to avoid an episiotomy, eating & drinking during labor, etc....all depends what you want.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 5:46 PM on May. 13, 2011

• the hospital or your ob might have a template or questionarre
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:53 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Talk to your care provider and ask if there is a certain format they want to see one in. Otherwise just make it as easy to read as possible and try to include all of the things you want to have happen. If you want you can PM me and I will email you mine for some ideas.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 6:24 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I gave a birthplan to my midwife on the off chance we'd need to go to the hospital. That off-chance occured, and I was rushed in to the hospital for pre-eclampsia, induced, then c-sectioned.

The only thing in my birth plan that could be followed was that no supplements other than expressed milk be given to my little one.

A birth plan is how you HOPE your birth will go, but there are a lot of variables according to medical necessity. Remember to roll with the punches if things don't/can't go your way!

Good Luck, Mama!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:09 PM on May. 13, 2011

• You can make a birth plan if you want but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:00 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Well you can think about having a mid-wife or doctor. If you want to be in a shower or a bath for part of your labor. I know if you get meds you are restricted to the bed, which is not a bad thing. I took a nap after I got my meds and my labor went by so much faster... Then if you are having a boy you need to decide whether he will receive a circumtision or not. Decide on who will be in the birthing room. Also if you want the baby to wear clothes that you bought him/her bring those in with you. If not they put them in the hospital onecies (SP?). Umm I would google some more ideas or go to babycenter.com I am sure they have something on there web site, they are chuck full of great ideas and information...
    gibsongirl017

Answer by gibsongirl017 at 12:27 AM on May. 14, 2011