Appropraite Discipline

What do you think is appropriate discipline for talking back or lying?  Ages 3 to 5, Ages 6 to 10, Ages 12 and up?

ochsamom

Asked by ochsamom at 5:53 PM on May. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• My 4 yr old gets time outs for lying...we havent had to deal with talking back yet...thank God lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:55 PM on May. 13, 2011

• What I feel is appropriate, may not what you feel is appropriate. I think discipline is something that needs to be discussed between the childrens' parents only. I will not question others about how we chose to discipline our children. Besides that, I feel it is something that needs to be decided before you make children.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:01 PM on May. 13, 2011

• M-avi, Sweetie that is complete your decision. You do know that you are not compelled in any way to answer the questions right? I am sure you and your hubby have everything under control. The rest of us that participate in this thread are gonna share our ideas and opinions. We might even learn something from eachother.
    ochsamom

Comment by ochsamom (original poster) at 6:07 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I'm interested to hear responses to this question. My so is 2 so we haven't had to deal with lying and talking back yet. Good question though.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 6:13 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Time out, grounding, taking something they enjoy away, things like that.

Answer by gemgem at 6:19 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Well I have 2 ...DS is 11 and he is just now starting to give attitudem, but he lies for everything. I have tried taking away his PSP, his PS2, no baskeball, his cell phone and nothing worked so one day when he looked my dead in my eye and lied I grab the belt. Now some people don't believe in whooping a child, but I was whooped growing up and I turned out to be a good person. Not only that kids these days have no respect for adults, let my child talk to me the way I hear some kids talk to their parents. Mine know better, but on topic...since I spanked him he has been doing better. My DD is 12yo and has atttiude out of this world and has to have the last word in on everything. Now again..I will probably get bashed for this but I popped her in the mouth. We are still working on the back talk but she is getting better.
    MsCatherine

Answer by MsCatherine at 6:29 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Read th boy who cried wolf and talk about t with them. I call my son out on the lie and ask him y he thought it necessary to do so. Than he goes to his room. (age6-10)
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 6:30 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My dd is 10... Talking back, she does push-ups. The number depends on the level of back talk. Lying, she's grounded... I do not tolerate lies, no matter how "small" and she's immediately grounded from things.
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 6:33 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Ages 3 to 5: time outs in length of their age. (example 3 years old... 3 minutes) then an apology and an explanation from me about WHY it's wrong.
    Ages 6 to 10: grounding for the day (or the rest of that day and the next if it's later in the day).. if they back talked I would probably show them why back talking is rude by showing examples of unruly kids and what happens with them when they get older and talk back, same with the lying.
    Ages 12 and up: grounding for a week. Double their chores.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:40 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Time out is good for pre-schoolers, with school age kids privledges would be removed for talking back. ON lying I would determine the punishment after I have talked to the child and found out why they lied
    jazzymom190

Answer by jazzymom190 at 6:42 PM on May. 13, 2011