Blood clots?

I am just wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with someone having blood clots due to birth control pills. I keep being told it's a really high risk, but I don't know anyone who has had this problem.

siera_lyn

Asked by siera_lyn at 5:58 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Health

• I got one about 9 years ago. I had been on the pill for years, and was on the patch for 3 mos when I got one. The patch has higher risks and has been under some big class action suits for not disclosing it.

I first thought it was restless leg in my left calf, but the sensation didn't go away with stretching or exercise. I went for about a week before reading through the side effects list, then went to my gyn. I didn't have any swelling, but it was enough to send me to get an ultrasound. They sent me home with strict homebound orders for the weekend. I had to take lovenox injections in the stomach for 5 days, with a nurse who came in and drew blood.

After those 5 days, I was on warfarin for 6 mos, having blood drawn weekly to make sure my platelets levels stayed low. After 6 mos they ran a genetic test and ruled out any disorders.

It was a nightmare, and I'll never be allowed to take hormones again.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:25 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes. I know two women who had blood clots after going on the pill. I can't be on hormones at all because I have a blood disorder.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:39 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Hey anng.atlanta, what would you describe the feeling in your leg like? My leg has felt kind of tight and soft of numb, like it's falling asleep, and I was just wondering if i'm just over-reacting.
    siera_lyn

Comment by siera_lyn (original poster) at 7:33 AM on May. 14, 2011