Going on a plane alone

My DD 5 will be going from FL. to NC with my mom they willl be driving up she will stay for a month in the summer...she will then have to fly back alone...she has never been on a plane and it will be non-stop and she is very independant not afriad to ask question,but knows to not talk to strangers just people that work places...do you think she will be okay? I've never been on a plane myslef so I dont even know how to prepare her any suggestions?

happymama02

Asked by happymama02 at 6:26 PM on May. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my kids are 6 and 4 1/2. My hubby has worked for a major airline for 13 mos. now and we have free flight benefits. Although it'd be nice to send the kids out to visit some family in other states he put a HELL NO on them traveling alone until they're at least 14 or 15. He must know something I do not, so I am inclined to trust him. I had sinus surgery a few months ago and cannot fly yet. I badly wanted them to visit auntie in Ohio during spring break, he said no no no.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:47 PM on May. 13, 2011

• A parent or guardian can go to the gate with her and talk to the flight attendant who will be watching over her. I have seen kids traveling alone and have seen the attendants being very watchful. Pack lots of things she can do while on the plane............coloring, word puzzles, dolls, etc. You could show her pictures of planes & set up some chairs that are close together to role play being in a plane. You might even call the airline or see what info is online for kids when traveling alone. They might have 'classes' like they do for those who are afraid to fly. GL!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 6:52 PM on May. 13, 2011

• When my twins were 6 they flew from San Francisco to L.A. by themselves. When my son was 14 he flew to England and back by himself.
    What happens is you have to have your mom or dad take her to the gate. Then they are literally labeled "unaccompanied minor" and a steward is assigned to care for them. When they get to the other end you have to show your ID and be there to sign for them.
    Kids do it all the time when they have divorced parents living in different states. Sometimes you hear horror stories of children getting lost but it's rare and it usually happens when there's a plane change.
    Hope this helps.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:56 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes, a parent or guardian can go to the boarding gate. Just inform them at check-in, and they should give you a pass of some sort that will aid you in getting through security.

Sadly, few airlines (if any) offer "stewardess-assistance" anymore, but you might want to call your airlines and see if they do. It used to be free, and a flight-attendant would walk your child from gate to gate and wait with them until they were picked up by family.

5 does seem a bit young, but if it's non-stop, my only concern would be in the getting off the plane and finding the way to baggage claim and the exit.

Check with your airline to see if your mother can go to the gate and walk her to the exit, the reverse of what you'll likely do when you take her to the plane.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:00 PM on May. 13, 2011

• We did this with my son. Call the airport and they will explain it to you. She will be an "unaccompanied minor". You will be able to walk her right to the gate. A stewardess will be in charge of her on the plane. You will pick her up right at the gate. It's pretty safe.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:45 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Thanks ladies...I'm more worried about how she will do on the actual plane ride...not ever being on 1 i dont know what it's like at all...I know it botheres some people ears and stuff...will that be a pronblem? I guess the steward will know how to handle anything like that right?
    happymama02

Comment by happymama02 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Pack something for her to munch on during take off and landing so the ears are not a problem. Explain to her she might feel stuffed up or somethng..............don't say it hurts because it really is just a 'full' feeling.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 3:30 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I know ppl that has done it actually my friend will be sending two of son's from Pa to Mississippi next month, but I wouldn't dare let my soon to be 13 yr old ride alone.
    cece5000

Answer by cece5000 at 3:16 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My niece is flying to New Mexico from Vegas on the 4th. :) She's been on flights before, but i don't think she'd remember it, she was young. anyway, air lines really cater to kids flying alone and look after them. she'll be alright.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 10:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2011