Would you put these ingredients in your mouth? Sodium tallowate,sodium cocoate...

hydrogenated tallow acid.coconut acid,glycerin,sodium chloride,pentasodium pentetate,pentaerythrityl,tetra-di-t-butyl,hydroxydrocinnamate,titanium dioxide,d&c greenno.8,green no.3 This is the ingredients list on Irish Spring soap.

Still think soap in the mouth is a good punishment?

they don't have to swallow it for it to get into their bloodstream. 

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 6:57 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Btw, a lot of soaps made today have anti-bacterial properties. So depending on which one you choose, it can be very caustic/poisonous. Unlike soap made in the "good ol days" of parents and grandparents.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:01 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Sodium tallowate: is just boils animal fat with salts. that's used as a surfactant (a surfactant has two ends, one to attract water the other to attract oil).. by FDA standards it can be used safely as a shampoo, cleaning agent, and in soaps.. if a little is ingested or gets into your body through your skin it is NOT going to harm you.

sodium cocoate: or Saponified Oil of Coconut is the sodium salt of fatty acids from coconut oil; lauric acid is the primary component of this oil. it is not harmful to your body or the environment.

hydrogenated tallow acid: (basically animal fat, or fatty acids) This product will probably not be absorbed through human skin and the amount ingested when used in soaps is not toxic and is even found in some foods.

coconut acid: Coconut Acid is a mixture of fatty acids derived from Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil .. is actually VERY good for you, and used in medications.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:51 PM on May. 13, 2011

• glycerin:is a simple polyol compound. It is a colorless, odorless, viscous liquid that is widely used in pharmaceutical formulations.Glycerol is sweet-tasting and of low toxicity. In foods and beverages, glycerol serves as a humectant, solvent, and sweetener, and may help preserve foods

sodium chloride: is table salt, you eat it every day.

pentasodium pentetate: Pentetic Acid, and its salt Pentasodium Pentetate, are compounds that bind metals, also known as chelating agents. Pentasodium Pentetate is chemically similar to EDTA (ethylenediamino tetraacetic acid), a chemical widely used as a chelating agent in foods and other materials.

titanium dioxide d&c greenno.8,green no.3 : is just the coloring used to color the soap.. titanium dioxide is found in foods and medicines (the rest is just the type of color used)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:11 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Lol! My parents used it for us. That reminds me of that part in The Christmas Story where he thinks he's going to go blind because him mom made him bite down on a bar of soap for dropping the F bomb. I LOVE this quote, "Over the years I got to be quite a connoisseur of soap. My personal preference was for Lux, but I found Palmolive had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor - heady, but with just a touch of mellow smoothness. Life Buoy, on the other hand... "

But seriously, I doubt anyone's ever died from it.  It's not my preferred choice of punishment, but it brings back fond childhood memories.

ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 7:23 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Bwahahahahahaha
    Sodium chloride is also know as saline. It's exactly what your being pumped full of when you have an IV put in. It's also used to clean contact lenses. So yeah, its safe if in they eyes, mouth, veins lol. The human body need sodium chloride to function and live. It's essential in cellular function.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:25 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Forgot to add, regardless of the ingredient list I don't, and never will use soap as discipline. It's never even been a passing thought to use it. It just doesn't accomplish anything IMO. If I don't want to lick the dove bar I won't force my child to either. It's just gross. Many more effective ways to discipline.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:41 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Ive never used it or seen it used but I know my MIL threatens to do it with her nephew. lol.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:59 PM on May. 13, 2011

• pentaerythrityl,tetra-di-t-butyl,hydroxydrocinnamate: Antioxidant (also found in baby lotions) and isnt a known toxin. pentaerythrityl is found in medicines

you really shouldnt be scared off by big names.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:13 PM on May. 13, 2011

• especially how it reacts when mixed with other components and how they react from there..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:45 PM on May. 13, 2011

• World English Dictionary
    sodium chloride

— n
    Also called: salt common table salt; a soluble colourless crystalline compound occurring naturally as halite and in sea water: widely used as a seasoning and preservative for food and in the manufacture of chemicals, glass, and soap. Formula: NaCl

so·di·um   /ˈsoʊdiəm/ Show Spelled
    [soh-dee-uhm] Show IPA

–noun
    1. Chemistry . a soft, silver-white, metallic element that oxidizes rapidly in moist air, occurring in nature only in the combined state, and used in the synthesis of sodium peroxide, sodium cyanide, and tetraethyllead: a necessary element in the body for the maintenance of normal fluid balance and other physiological functions. Symbol: Na

http://dictionary.reference.com
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:06 PM on May. 13, 2011