Am i being a baby? bday with no gift

so recently theres been money probs. we are on kind of tight budget,with a little play room. however yest was my bday and i was dropping hints on cheap gifts. but he took me to dinner where we had a buy one get one free. i kept thinkin maybe he would give me my gift later but it never came. today i pointed out a very small desk that frys had for 12.00. i could use it for my scrapbooking since i do it on the floor. he said must be a real p.o.s.... so my ? is am i being a baby about it because im really ticked abt it. should i just let it go? he's not one to "make it up to me". i just feel i should have gotten something to just say i appriciate you.

dramaMama407

Asked by dramaMama407 at 7:21 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• I'm not being mean just answering the question..okay? IMO Yes you are. Sometimes when things are tight you just have to do without presents. I have many times and so has my husband.

Hugs! I hope you had a happy birthday!! And don't take my answer the wrong way..
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 7:24 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I really hate the excuse of not having enough money. Lord knows my family uses it enough! Your birthday falls on the same day every year. There's no reason why people can't think ahead to make sure you think of people,especially a spouse!!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:24 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Uh - no you aren't being a baby. You should go buy yourself a gift.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 7:26 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Get the desk yourself and call it a birthday gift last year I got nothing so I treated myself to a couple new drawing pads.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:26 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Whenever my husband forgets, or is too busy, to do something on a day I want to feel special, I just go do something for myself. Life's too short to have petty arguments. If you want the desk, just be up front about it. "I really want this desk as my birthday gift. It's only $12, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow." Done and done.
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 7:30 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes, I rarely get a gift on my bday. I usually didnt as a child, once I left my parents house at 16 & lived on my own never got one & in recent years is the only time I get one. You know what I ask for each year? Money to get clothing so once a year, yes this is correct, I get to buy clothing for myself. The rest of the year I deal with the fact that I dont get a shopping spree all the time. I look at what I need for the year weather that be new sneakers, jeans, pj's, shirts whatever & get myself a budget of $200 or maybe more to buy clothing (half of my budget is due to the fact that SO's company gives him a bonus each year one month before my bday).

Anyway the point is yes I do believe you are acting a bit childish on the issue, you two went out to dinner, sounds like a great bday to me!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 7:32 PM on May. 13, 2011

• i think that if you and your guys' relationship are important to him, he should show you that. the important bit is that "showing you" doesnt need to involve money. he may feel emasculated by your recent financial troubles, and doesnt want to buy you a $12 desk, the ultimate slap in the face to him because he cant afford to buy you something more expensive. i wish for you that he had gone out of his way to make the day special for you in a non-$$-related way (ie breakfast in bed, picking you flowers, a nice card, etc). since you cant fix the past, and harping on it to him is only going to make him worse, try showing him by example what you would like to have happen on your birthday - like on his birthday, maybe make him a book of naughty vouchers, redeemable with you whenever he wishes, with a card saying how much he means to him - flirty, doesnt break the bank, but shows how much you care.
    staceface420

Answer by staceface420 at 7:35 PM on May. 13, 2011

• well if you wanted a gift then you should have said no to dinner...even if it was bogo 1 meal still had to be bought and drinks im assuming...I never get gifts always diner and usally at a place that offers free b-day dinner...but i know money is tight so im happy to be able to do that...sorry if you dont like my answer but its just MO
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 7:39 PM on May. 13, 2011

• You are having money problems, on a tight budget with little play room and you think that little play room should be spent on a birthday gift for you? You are being a baby.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:40 PM on May. 13, 2011

• LOL!! at least you went out to dinner! My dh is out of a job right now so we used the foodstamps that we are getting for his unemployment, and just had a bbq for it. we are going to try to do something for our aniversery. But poor dh, we had easter, my bday and mothers day in 3 weeks.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 7:40 PM on May. 13, 2011