Are you doing the summer reading program?

We just went and signed up for the summer reading program for the summer. Kids all set separate goals, and the adult program is just the same for each adult, one book per week. The kids are excited, because our library has the kids set small goals, and when the achieve them they get a prize, and then can set another goal.

Does your library have a summer reading program, and if so, are you and your kiddos signed up?

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 7:43 PM on May. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Our program starts June 1. We do it every year. We don't have a limit of how many books we can read. We just get a tally sheet and mark down the books. We can only bring the sheet back once a week, though. We enter raffles and the kids can pick a weekly prize when they check in. We have a winter program, too, but that is only for the kids.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:48 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I just gave a presentation to the parents at our school on the importance of summer reading! I'm giving you a bump! You rock!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:51 PM on May. 13, 2011

• It's my youngest last summer for it. (the library does it for up to entering grade 6) They do have something different for jr. high/high school age kids but don't know what it is. It usually starts the day after aschool gets out.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 7:56 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Our library has a similar program where they earn so many coins for so many hours of reading and then redeem the coins for little toys and they when they finish the first reading folder, they get a free book! Our program starts beginning of June. My daughter has been doing both the library program and the Barnes and Noble summer reading program for a few years now. They also give children a free book after completing 8 books.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 7:59 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My kiddos LOVE to read so each summer we do 3 Summer Reading Programs but they aren't part of our local library. They are:

Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Program ~ Read 8 books; earn 1 free book.
    http://img1.imagesbn.com/pImages/kids/summerreading/2011/BN-Tear-Pad.pdf

Borders Summer Reading Program ~ Read 10 books; earn 1 free book
    http://media.bordersstores.com/pdf/formDoubleDogDare.pdf

Dion's Pizza Club Read ~ Read first 6 books; earn a backpack, a book, a bookmark and another scorecard. Read second 6 books; earn an Official Dion's Club Read T-Shirt, one ticket voucher for an Isotopes game, coupon for a free small drink at Isotopes Park, a Certificate of Achievement and one entry for the Grand Prize Drawing.
    http://www.dionspizza.com/uploads/files/Club%20Read%202011.pdf

They read a total of 30 books each summer. Gotta love that! =)
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 11:48 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Thanks mommyH2!!

I'm excited that they have an adult program this year. I try to read, but with my busy schedule I need a goal to really get me into it (well other then the children's books we read) Kids are excited too. I think the summer reading program is such an awesome way to keep kids motivated and learning while they are out of school. My 7 yr old is super excited because one of the group goals they had was reading three chapter books, and he is currently reading the magic tree house books, so he thinks its awesome that he gets to read the books he likes, and get a prize for it.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 11:51 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Ohhh, thanks for the info 7blessings, I will have to check out Barns and Noble and see if ours has a reading program. Wonder if the other book stores do that as well. Our local pizza place does a program during the school year for school kids, but I don't think they do it outside of school.

My son has become quite the reader this year. We moved to this school in Dec, and two weeks ago he was selected as student of the week for reading 200 books. And they are books above his grade level. I'm so glad he finally found a love for books, we struggled sooo much last year. He liked to be read to , but not to read himself.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 11:54 PM on May. 13, 2011

• We loved them, but this year both of my kids are too old to do them )c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:22 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Yes! I can't wait. Our library has sign-up starting on Monday. My oldest is now reading on his own so that is exciting as compared to last summer. We do a lot of reading and I skipped signing myself up last year but I think I will this year. One of my fave parts of summer!
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 1:28 AM on May. 14, 2011