Painting over textured walls??

Anyone done it?? Does it look bad? I'm either going to smooth mine out or paint over them but I want to know what they'd look like first..

****New info...I asked the HOA how the walls were textured, the said it was "knock down". I've also read up on painting the textured walls and it seems the best way is to use a wide brush, which seems to me will take forever. Any new input ladies??

Also, thank you all very much for your input!!

dragonlady320

Asked by dragonlady320 at 7:54 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I haven't done it myself, but I have seen textured walls that were painted, and they looked horrible. FYI: You can get textured wallpaper that's made to cover irregular/textured walls and be painted. The other option is to scrape off the texture, and spackle/replaster the wall.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:58 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I have. You just need a really thick roller. Look for the ones that say for textured walls.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:58 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't see why it would look 'bad' as long as it's done with the proper materials. Ask your paint store what you'll need.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 5:51 AM on May. 15, 2011

• We didn't care about the texture, but when we painted over it with that new primer and paint combined it came out smooth. If you plan to scrape it, which is the wise choice be prepared that often people texturize wall to hide the mountain of flaws underneath. I spent a weekend scraping to find I needed to spend the next week spackling and sanding the previous mess.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:02 PM on May. 16, 2011

• We did, It took extra paint and labor, but we like the end results. The texture we went over was very similar to popcorn ceiling texture. It was one of the most challenging paint jobs I have done so far ( and I have done many ) The variable depth takes a few coats. Try a small area to see if you like it.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 8:00 PM on May. 13, 2011

• i have painted a lot of textured walls, and i will always prefer to paint a textured wall over a flat wall.
    Anonymous

• I did it. It looked okay. I'm not much of a painter which was probably the biggest reason it didn't out any better.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:37 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I have had no issues with painting a textured wall. They turned out great.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:51 PM on May. 13, 2011

• bump:)
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 11:00 PM on May. 13, 2011

• have never done it.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 11:20 PM on May. 13, 2011