tween boys and the death of loved ones

My boys have dealt with a lot of death. They are 10 and 11 1/2. In the past 8 months, 3 close family members have died, one very suddenly. Are they as resilliant as people say, or do they bottle it up? I'm tore the F up about all of this.... how concerned should I be about them?

(I have contacted their teachers and guidance counselor, just to keep an eye on them)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in General Parenting

• kids handle death better than adults give them credit for. Always leave the lines of communication open, ask how they feel about it. I would observe how they act but expect them to be sad about it, because thats a normal way to feel. Let them know its normal to be sad.
    shana.maria81

Answer by shana.maria81 at 1:44 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• My son lost 4 relatives within a 2 year period between when he was 7 and 9 years old . One was very suddenly, his same age cousin who was his "bestest cousin" they insisted everyone know they were cousins not just friends. Anyway he always said he was okay but I felt that he was bottling it all up so I took him to a counselor. I told him that sometimes we don't even realize something is bothering us until we start to talk to other people about it and that I was worried that he wasn't talking to me and his dad because he didn't want to make us sad. He did talk to the counselor who said he was handling all that loss surprising well but it was good to take him. You have to do what you feel is right for your sons. And feel free to message me if you want to "talk" .
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• **my kids lost their both their grandmothers. They have handles it better tham my and my husbank, they still cry on occasion, but thats part of the grieving process.
    shana.maria81

Answer by shana.maria81 at 1:45 AM on Dec. 6, 2008