Advice :-( caring for my just neutered male dog.

We expected to drop dog off at 8am. Him be neutered in the AM. & they would keep him for most of the day for observation & he would be home that night.
WELL......
They did not neuter him until 4PM. I called & was not happy about this. He is aggressive with them & doesnt do well in a cage so after talking to the lady she said to come up there at 5pm to get him & we can go ahead & take him home.
Now he is home, but cant get comfy. He walks (about 4 steps) from our couch to our backdoor. And he is walking up to the couch (like he wants on it).
Is it ok to put him on the couch (he is a lab ~ 40lbs)?
When is he going to get some relief?
Any advice if you have had a male neutered?
DH is going to get some OTC meds for him right now they said we could use.

Also (odd) ive noticed his Penis moving (its like he is tightening & its going closer to his body & then he will relax & it will go back down)... What is up with this? Is he just tightening cuz he is sore? Is he fighting back going pee?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Pets

• Don't close the door. Put a pillow or doggy bed and blankets in the kennel with some treats in the back. Let him go in and out as he pleases. He may just be afraid of being contained. Don't force him into it, just leave it open and accessible if he wants privacy. Just keep him comfortable the best you can. I wouldn't put him on the couch. If he jumps down the stretch or the jolt could bust his stitches. Poor puppy. I would find a new vet if I were you. This was unacceptable. He was probably aggressive because he was stuck in a crate from 8-4!
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:42 PM on May. 13, 2011

• he is sore and coming off anesthesia still. crate him if you can and just make him as comfty as possible,..why didnt the vet give you meds to go home with?? in a couple days he will be better, make sure he doesnt take out his stiches (if they are out of the skin visable stiches)
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 8:36 PM on May. 13, 2011

• it is so weird that they waited so late to do it, when my rabbit was neutered they did it in the morning and watched him all day and gave him more pain meds before they sent him home, and he was fine the next day, call the vet with any questions!! You should never leave the vet till all your questions are answered like at the doctor
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 8:36 PM on May. 13, 2011

• honestly they shouldnt have done it today if they didnt have the time to get to it. im very surprized they did the neuter at 4pm and told u to p/u at 5pm. i work at a vet and they would have never done that , they would of called and said, hey..sorry we couldnt do it today. and they would have suggested keeping him for tomorrow or reschedule for a later day.
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 8:40 PM on May. 13, 2011

• hes probably agressive because its just how he is. nervous or whatnot. many dogs..and cats act crazy when at the vet, and if 3 people need to hold him down to administer a vaccine or whatever then it has to happen. the dog will be fine. the techs n vet need to becareful to not get bit or attacked and must do what they have to do. some dogs just need to be sedated for every little procedure when going to the vet. ask for some sedation meds BEFORE u go to the vet so he can be more relaxed and not worked up so much. and when/if you go to a new vet id advise you tell them he is agressive before hand.
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 10:59 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Don't put him on the couch because then he might jump off. Put him in his doggy bed or on a soft pillow. My poor didn't get up or move all day. He'll heal fast.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:40 PM on May. 13, 2011

• We are VERY UNHAPPY about the time!!! And It is upsetting he is home so soon (id rather professionals supervise him). but it was pick him up shortly after surgery (5pm) OR he would be in a kennel alone all night at the vets which we did not want even more..
    DH called at 1pm to ask how things where (but didnt ask anymore sadly) and they said everything was fine call back at 4pm & that is when they said they where just getting to the neutering. And that is when I called back 5min later with 101 questions & comments..

We got our dog around 3mo. and he is very skittish so we wonder how he was treated with his last owners & him + cage is no good. We have tried to keep him in a cage with twist ties & everything but he always escapes & DH said he is aggressive with the vets (she told me it took 3 of them to hold him down to get a shot to sedate him- which made me want to cry wondering how they went about doing it.)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:16 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I am very happy to say he is sleeping in his crate right now (door open). and being still (his moving around alot and wanting to just stand blankely made me a crazy lol). I think right now he finds his crate a huge comfort/safety .. I feel like I have a newborn cuz im afraid to go to sleep lol & was so excited when he went outside & pooped & peed!
    Earlier he had the strength to get himself on the couch :-/ without me noticing... And then without any notice he woke up & got back down.
    Thankfully it didnt seem to do anything.
    Cant wait to give him his first bites of food in the morning..

In the past he has done "ok" with shots.. Just peed on DH lol...But I expected us not being around would make him more scared & aggressive..
    We will be changing vets. which is OK since its a 45min drive & there are closer ones near us. But my sis liked this place & the prices seemed good. My dogs well being is worth more than $ though!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:00 AM on May. 14, 2011