I know this sounds stupid.. but how do you know your water has broken? adult content

I stood up and there was a gush of fluid, but the thing is I am in a wheelchair all day and was outside. I went to transfer from my chair so a more comfortable chair and I am not too sure if it was sweat, or my water. I do have contractions and have been for about a week, I have lost my mucus plug, but was told it could grow back. What I am wondering is if there is some kinda way to tell.. is there a smell or home test something I can pick up at the pharmacy?

Punkslilncs

Asked by Punkslilncs at 8:41 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It sounds like it has...I don't see sweat "gushing" I would head to the hospital if I were you mama...once your water has broken there is risk of infection
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 8:42 PM on May. 13, 2011

• But if it IS your water the longer you stay at home wondering if it is, the more you risk infection...I dont mean to be mean honey, but we're all saying it sounds like your water has broken, you asked our advice and so far we all agree you should get yourself to the hospital...do you really want to risk infection because of $15? Sign off and get to the hospital hun
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 9:01 PM on May. 13, 2011

• If you experienced the gush of water (and it really is like pouring a gallon of water out of there lol) then call your doctor. I felt a little bit of leakage and they wanted me to go in...turns out I was in labor and didn't even know it.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:42 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I'd head to the hospital. My water broke when I was trying to sleep, (I was already in early labor and having contractions) and I didn't notice it until I got up to use the restroom
    BlueMockingbird

Answer by BlueMockingbird at 8:45 PM on May. 13, 2011

• my water broke i didnt have contractions till i was 6cm.. Its better to be safe then sorry. if ur water did break and u dont go in u can harm your baby!!!!
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:47 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My first time I had no idea it did. I was in the shower I guess. My second pregnancy I was getting my son ready to go to Trader Joes and As soon as I took one step into the kitchen a big gush of fluid spilled out on to the floor and it kept coming! I called the nurse and she said to come right away even though I didn't start contractions.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 9:01 PM on May. 13, 2011

• gushing sweat? I don't think so. I heard a pop when my water broke. There was no gush just drips so I had time to get to the bathroom,
    Call the hospital and ask for L&D Tell them what happened and see if they tell you to come in.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:19 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Definitely go get checked. Like another poster said, once your water has broken there is a higher risk of infection. Always better safe then sorry. Good luck
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 10:25 PM on May. 13, 2011

• How many weeks are you? I'd go in and get checked out within a few hours.
    Anonymous

• It was about a quart.. enough to get the ground wet.. but um not a puddle like it was with my first born when they broke my water for me... I'm 36 weeks and 4 days.. I keep hoping for the end cause of so many complications.. I can't help but worry it's wishful thinking. The gush could be cause I am rather big.. and the sweat might of gotten trapped?? I dunno what it is.. I just would feel stupid if I went in and they said oh just sweat or discharge.. that would be A LOT of discharge though..
    Punkslilncs

Comment by Punkslilncs (original poster) at 8:45 PM on May. 13, 2011