Tipping

Do you tip at a coffe stand ? Restaurant? does your server get paid wages plus tips? I know in Oregon we get wages plus tip if we make any. I manage a small restaurant and I get upset when the wait staff expect a tip! you need to EARN it if you want it, its not just a given!! whats your thoughts??

To
Insure
Promptness

jadeyazi

Asked by jadeyazi at 8:52 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• In my area wait staff gets paid barely anything...they work for tips. As a former waitress, I always tip well.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:11 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I always tip even at coffee stands. If they are serving me something then I will tip them for it :)
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 8:57 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I've never been to a "coffee stand" but no, I can't imagine I would tip unless they were serving me... That said, ALL states pay servers wages, but not nearly enough! Here in PA you make $2.83 an hour plus tips. I don't care if all you are doing is bringing me a glass of water, if you didn't spit in it, you earned a tip!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:03 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I always leave something. If the server is really bad rather than not tip I just tell a manager. If I don't leave a tip all then they will probably just think I'm cheap not that they did a bad job. Everyone has an off day and bills to pay so I can't in good conscience not leave them a few bucks. I usually tip 15-20% . If I go to a coffee shop I might leave my change or a dollar in a tip jar if the person was really friendly or helpful but typically not.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 9:11 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I'm a server I get paid $2.13 an hour, yes I expect a tip. When I go out to eat I ALWAYS tip, I never tip less than 5 I don't care if my bill is $6 I'm leaving the server 5 bucks. I know how bad is sucks to work and work and work and only get a dollar. especially if they aren't busy I tip more because I know that server isn't making any money at all and I try to at least make it worth them being there to take care of me.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 8:56 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Where I am they get wages plus tip...alot of restaurants add the tip into the bill though which irritates me because if the service is crummy I don't even have the option not to tip them...I tip at restuarants, at the nail salon, my tattooist, my peircer...um...I think that might be it =)
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 8:56 PM on May. 13, 2011

• @onemellowmom

I know just how you feel. When I was working in the salon, I would be working for very little pay and tips are what helped to put dinner on the table. My actual paycheck when towards bills and rent.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 8:59 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I tip almost all the time, but I will base the amount of my tip on the service, the cleanliness of my server, and the attention they pay to our table. Oh and if they come back to refill my drink, whether they ask me if I want a refill or take it upon themselves to do it anyway.

I have been in the food industry almost all of my life, and as someone who has managed, and worked as a server.. you learn to read your customers, you know based on instinct whether to talk to the man or woman, whether to carry a conversation with the children. Who to smile at and who to smile but keep your distance. You learn who to flirt with and who not to and you learn that gender doesn't really matter lol. Tips should be based on service and for those places that make their waitresses share tips...it should be based on the taste of the food. Our waitresses gets paid a small hourly wage and yes they do depend on tips.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 9:00 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Many people do not realize restaurant workers' salaries are well below minimum wage and that they depend on tips to make a living. Tips are not fun money - it is for survival. Even with tips, it is not easy to survive on a server's wages + tips. If a server is less than perfect, I still give 15%. If everything is ok I give 20%. If I really hated the service, I give 10%. I don't stiff unless it is purely accidently forgetting, which happens rarely. I tip the barista, the bartender, the car wash guy. I don't tip our cleaning service because they are always sending different people.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:47 PM on May. 13, 2011

• We always tip - as we feel most places pay low wages and servers work hard. Now with that said, it does need to be earned. My husband is an exceptional tipper (more than I ever do) but he rewards well for good service.. My husband tips EVERYONE, spas, ball games, door bell you name it he tips. Especially around the holidays.
    dukester050128

Answer by dukester050128 at 2:30 PM on May. 14, 2011