Good grief! DS is STILL awake!!

He is 6 and usually takes melatonin to sleep (as recommended by his ped) I did not give it tonight because it is Friday and there is no school tomorrow. Usually he will just talk and sing to himself til he sleeps, around 11 or 11:30, when he doesn't have it. Tonight he has been up and to the bathroom 3 times to pee. He is playing with toys, which I keep taking, and singing LOUDLY. I am considering giving it anyway. I typically skip non school nights. I dunno though. I'm afraid he is going to wake his sister! Give it or skip it as usual? It's after 9 here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would wait a little longer and then give it to him.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 9:16 PM on May. 13, 2011

• That's what I was thinking... I gave him is drawing board thing to get him to stop yelling/singing! not helping him sleep but I wouldn't expect him to be asleep without his meds until much later...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:18 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I think that's the best thing you an do. It'll keep him occupied enough to keep it down while your daughter is sleeping. Best of luck :)
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 9:22 PM on May. 13, 2011

• my kids (3, 2 and 4 months) don't go to bed until 10pm... i'd rather wait for them to be tired than to force it on them...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:06 PM on May. 13, 2011

• That must be tough to have a little one that does not sleep. I am sorry you had to go through this. Hope he is sleeping now.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 1:19 AM on May. 14, 2011

• asil... do your 3,2 and 4 month old have to get up for school at 6 am? Or wake up on their own no matter how late they were up at 7 on the dot. No, my guess is they sleep in a bit and have naps... When the time comes that your LO's are getting up for school (unless you home school I guess) you will understand that a few hours of sleep doesn't cut it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:52 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Tell him he has to be quiet and stay in his bed. My kids can lay in bed for a while and do something quiet before bed, if they start to be loud they get punished
    othermom

Answer by othermom at 9:24 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I have heard it is better to keep the same schedule 7 days a week if you have sleep problems.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:45 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Thank you but his ped is fully aware of our schedules and doesn't want us supplementing him on a regular basis.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:47 AM on May. 14, 2011

• i would wait a little longer. My son has to take clonindine for sleep.
    momkaribg

Answer by momkaribg at 2:02 PM on May. 14, 2011