Ever heard of doctor not check to see if your dilated?

I know im only 36 weeks but I asked my doctor to check and see last week if my cervix was open or if i was dilated any because ive had such bad cramping.... and i was having my strep B test, so i figured my legs were already up there & open so just check.

He said, No he didnt check dilation, or anything like that untill labor. I thought maybe i didnt hear him correctly but my doctor is a nut anyways..... So im gonna ask him again on Monday when i go,
but could that be right????

juniebug11

Asked by juniebug11 at 9:14 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was not checked during my second pregnancy. I thought it's because I was a scheduled C-Sec but it was actually a policy change. Less internal exams to prevent infections.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:15 PM on May. 13, 2011

• its not really necessary. it doesnt tell anything about when you'll go into labor and it opens the body to infections.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 9:17 PM on May. 13, 2011

• It reduces that chances of introducing infection and it is not a great indications of when labor is going to start so there is really no reason to check for it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:18 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I got checked at a check up they told me I was a 1 so nothing to worry about but they never checked with my 2nd kid I guess it is just the doc you have I had 2 different docs with my girls so I dont know good luck I hope everything gos good
    stormey_wagner

Answer by stormey_wagner at 9:18 PM on May. 13, 2011

• my hubby was going out of town when i was 36 weeks so my doc offered to check my dilation for peace of mind.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 9:20 PM on May. 13, 2011

• No---its not necessary. It can spread infection.WHy do you think your Doctor is a nut? I am 100% sure that he knows more than you do about pregnancy.
    I think there is a general mistrust of professional people at CM and it just makes me laugh,.
    How silly.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:21 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Thanks ok, i didnt know, and my doctor is so strange, he drives me coo-coo! I thought it might be him, but i guess it might be normal.
    juniebug11

Comment by juniebug11 (original poster) at 9:21 PM on May. 13, 2011

• There's no reason to be checked. My midwife doesn't do cervical checks during pregnancy or labor.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:21 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Wow your doctor has common sense!! That's awesome. Cervical checks are so not necessary. They could be dangerous too. If you did have gbs he could havve potentialy pushed it up into the womb and it could have caused death to your baby...That happend to my SIL when she was carrying twins.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 9:25 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I say good for him! lol..
    I wish I would have known different than now & said no to all cervical checks. they dont say much really & Ive read that they can actually slow labor possibly, and as others have said open % of infection..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:20 PM on May. 13, 2011