I feel that I have tried every disciplinary method known to man on my 2 year old and still nothing. Anyone out there that can offer some ideas for dealing with the "strong willed" child???

kingsd77

Asked by kingsd77 at 9:45 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What sort of behaviors are you trying modify?
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 9:50 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Whining, fits, and just plain old listening to me. I focus more on positive reinforcement, but I have tried disciplining him as well. I'm just frustrated. I feel like I can try and try and my husband gives him one look and he just steps into line. UGHHHH!
    kingsd77

Comment by kingsd77 (original poster) at 9:57 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I think trying every method is your problem. Kid's need consistency. Instead of a time out try the naughty room. If you have a spare bedroom or something similar, use that. Anywhere but their bedroom. That causes mixed signals. When she is misbehaving, get down to her level, look her in the eye and tell her in a firm voice that her behavior is unacceptable and if she does not stop she will be placed in the naughty room. When you put her in the naughty room, sit her down and explain to her again why she is being place here and that she will stay in the room for two minutes. If she comes out, say nothing, place her back and re start the timer. Stay consistent and don't give in. When she has stayed the whole two minutes, go in and explain to her again why she was there and why that behavior is unacceptable and tell her you want an apology and then give hugs and kisses. It could take hours before she stays in the room but stick
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:00 PM on May. 13, 2011

• with it and when she sees you're not giving up, she will. The room is better than the corner for a strong willed child because they don't have the distraction of people walking past or toys. They'll have nothing to do but sit and think about what they've done and why it's wrong.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:03 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Him. Sry. Didn't see your second post.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:04 PM on May. 13, 2011

• The kid is 2. That;s how they are. First thing you HAVE to do is have you and your husband on the same page. Consistency is the most important part of discipline. If you say no, then he whines or throws a fit put him in his room. Don't ask unreasonable things of him. Like go clean your room. A 2 yr old doesn't understand what your idea of a "clean" room is. Be very specific and show him what you want. Make him do it along with you. Once he gets the hang of it start a reward sticker book. If he fusses because you won't give him a cookie or other food, ignore it and if he whines, put him in his room. Start giving cookies (or whatever) at a specific time like snack or desert after dinner, Don't vary that routine. Make sure he is getting enough sleep. If you don't have a routine you should. Every night at the same time. Naps at the same time. Good Luck
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:21 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I agree about consistncyI think your child is playing the game called what will she do next. If your husband has no trouble than he is probably being consistant with hs punishment
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 10:24 PM on May. 13, 2011

• i have a 3 year old that nothing phases. don't feel bad.

momy_lynn_16

Answer by momy_lynn_16 at 10:33 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I have to say that every child is different. My son has always listened to me but doesn't take his dad too seriously. My daughter doesn't listen to me but will straighten up as soon as her daddy comes in the room. As adults we don't like to simply be put into a box-so to speak. We have a mind of our own and we're individuals. Well...that applies to children as well. Best of luck to you..I know you'll figure it out : )

805doll

Answer by 805doll at 10:36 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I had to start putting my daughter to bed & yes at crazy hours. There have been times its been 10am & I have had to put her to bed... now when the hours is that early she will have to earn her way out of bed by apology, calming down, etc. Usually if its 3pm then all bets are off & she is in bed for the rest of the day & night, yup she has gone at this hour many times. Now that she knows I am serious about it usually the threat of bedtime keeps her in check but not always & off she goes. I dont do this for every punishment sometimes the offense is minor & a simple time out will do, she is always having to apologize for something shes simply a rough child. I also talk with her all the time after a time out we discuss what happened, when she apologizes its not just "I'm sorry" she has to give an explanation about what her actions were as well to help her understand what she is sorry for. Good luck, I understand your frustration.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:37 PM on May. 13, 2011