Should a boy be potty trained by 3? My sister is still trying to potty train her three yr old

bubbaelea22

Asked by bubbaelea22 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 11, 2008 in General Parenting

• It depends entirely on the child. One of my brother's children wasn't trained until nearly 4. She's one of the smartest kids I've ever met but she was also very stubborn. Give your sister all the support you can. Feel free to research different things and ask her if she's tried them - just tell her that you are taking notes for when it's your turn and you want to start with the things she finds work best.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I am in the same boat. He will go just fine on the potty, but doesnt like to stop what he is doing to tell me. He is 3
    Jessnpat2

Answer by Jessnpat2 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• It really depends on the child. We strongly believe in our child going at his own pace, so if he didn't seem ready to START potty training until 3 we would be okay with that. As long as he wasn't school-age and still had no desire to try. Most children around age 3 that I've seen can actually be potty trained very simply, because they just WANT to. I had a friend who tried to PT her son at 2 years old and it didn't really take, but then at 3 they put him in big kid undies and he never looked back! No accidents!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• everyone learns on their own schedule - if your sister is working at it then no big deal - if your sister is expecting him to learn on his own then maybe help her out a bit.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 3:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My son wasn't potty trained until he was 4 1/2. I tried everything that I could think of and they people suggested to me. My son was very stubborn and when he started to get frusturated with the whole situation, I would back off and try again until he showed intrest in potty training. Each kid is different and they will do it in their own time.
    Bear731

Answer by Bear731 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2008