Work dilema, need advice.

So a friend of our pulled some strings at his job and got my hub a job (finally after a year of being unemployed!). It's a fast food job, but we're thankful it's a JOB! We told them we would stay for as long as DH is in school...two plus years, because well, we need a job and nothing else has panned out for us! He's only worked there a few training days....

Well today my hub got a call back on one of his applications he put in months ago.....it's a position at a hospital, one he's qualified for, in the field that he's currently going to school in. It's more pay, benifits, health insurance....all the bells and whistles.
Our dilema is do we quit the fast food job his friend got him because there's a better job offer, or do we stay because his friend got him this job, and they are anticipating him sticking around for a while?
My husband has had literally no job offers from applications in the last year, and we're on public aid all the rest, which I don't mind until we find a job......but this new job would basically take us off all of that, we see it as an awesome opportunity for our family.
What would you do? Stay loyal at a job a friend got, or go with your career path?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• Tell your friend that an opportunity came up that you can't turn down, no apologies ( it will put him in the defensive zone)- just thank him , stick with the facts and let him know you did not for see this and wish it were different, but are grateful for what he has done. Honesty is the best, you have to do what is right for you.... He will find someone to replace your DH, but your DH may not have this opportunity again. Congratulations :-) What a great thing, celebrate and don't feel like you owe your friend this, if things were different, your hubby would have stayed there, life goes on, enjoy it....
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:09 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I'd take the better job
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 10:07 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I agree with LeJane and would add maybe trying to find a replacement for your hubby's position.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:21 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I would not feel obligated to stay at the fast food job. There are too many positives to the other job that are too good to pass up. If he is honest with his friend and shows gratitude then the friend will probably understand.
    twigirl30

Answer by twigirl30 at 10:32 PM on May. 13, 2011

• That is why half or more than half of the people I know would NEVER speak on someones behalf unless the KNEW the person would stay and had no motivation to look for something better. I would say Career because everyone needs one. However, he should talk to his friend about it and give him the heads up first. Just be aware that it will probably never happen again if someone found a reason to fire your s/o
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 11:02 PM on May. 13, 2011

• We? as in both of you have a job their?

I say take the other job. And this time do not promise anyone you will stay at the job for X amount of time.

Answer by louise2 at 10:04 PM on May. 13, 2011