My Mom's priest...

My Mom just told me the Epsicopal priest, ( a woman), said that she used to be Catholic and switched to Episcopal because the Catholic church did not allow women priests.
"I have no problem with that part."
But then she said she would go back to the Catholic church if they all of a sudden allowed women priests. That sometimes she'd prefer a Catholic church.
How would you take that?
I mean she is the first woman priest the church had.

SeasideNative

Asked by SeasideNative at 10:18 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• People change denominations for lots of reasons. In this woman's case it seems as if the reason she switched was solely because of the Catholic Church's stance on female priests. But I've known people to change over, what I think to be, even smaller disagreements. And as denominations grow and change to suit the day some are able to return to their "home church" as their issues are dealt with. It seems this woman to be no different than millions of others who leave their church in hopes that things will one day change and they will one again be able to return... At the core, Christianity is Christianity. It's not like she's saying she wants to return to a different faith, just a different denom. So I wouldn't let it bother me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:07 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I don't think that the ministry is a career so much as it is a calling. I don't believe the Catholic Church ever will allow women priests because it is not Biblical. If I found myself in a Catholic Church with a woman priest, I would leave and find another Catholic Church that remains true to Church teaching.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:46 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Personally, I would be upset by that. I feel a priest/pastor should be dedicated to the church and the specific beliefs of their church, not dedicated to the title. If she is saying she became Episcopalian just to be a priest and would leave to return to the Catholic church if they would let her have a church, that sounds like she is more dedicated to the title than her current congregation. JMO.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:32 PM on May. 13, 2011

• It depends on what specific differences there are, whether or not I would be upset. Obviously, she felt very limited in her career choices with the Catholic church, and had very little option there. She wanted to lead a church, has likely studied for years in order to do so, and hopefully, is effective in her position. I think that she is being honest with herself and her congregation, and what more can you really ask, I guess?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:52 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't know much about the Episcopalian church, but if they allow women priests, they're likely more progressive than the Catholic church, and I'd wonder why she'd want to go back. Of course, I'm a defector from the Catholic church so I'm slightly biased.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 10:42 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I hope that the church someday allows women priests. I don't however want priests to marry.

The priest in your mother's church has sacrificed the very essence of being a Catholic...the true body and blood of Christ. I don't find anything remotely noble in that
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:59 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Well I understand many people have made the Catholic church wealthy just by believing that, which is part of the reason I don't go to church. I need my money.
    SeasideNative

Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 2:07 AM on May. 14, 2011