Can anyone tell me more about Mirena?

I am considering getting the Mirena. I am worried that the hormones will make me sick like the pill does. My OB said that the hormones are more localized, so they won't make me sick, since they won't be coursing through my whole body.
Does anyone else have the Mirena and like it after having problems with the pill?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Health

• don't get it! so many ppl get infections from it! i am actually allergic to it and need to have it removed!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 11:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I have had Mirena for about 6 months and LOVE it! I didn't get sick with the pill but my hormones were so out of whack I needed additional hormones. I've tried Depo and had problems with it too. So far with Mirena, my biggest complaint is the cramping. It is awful when first implanted and a day or two around the time of your period. But my periods are so light now, they are almost non-existent. I don't have to worry about taking a pill everyday or getting my shot regularly. You do need to check the strings, but not a big deal. Hormones though.....haven't noticed any change there. Would definitely recommend it.
    anna17

Answer by anna17 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I seriously considered getting the copper version, I forget what it's called. But, after a lot of research there is NO WAY. Your doctor will tell you how safe they are, but I've personally known three women who have had them puncture their uterus and ended in painful surgery. Frankly if three people I've known had it happen to them those odds are way too great for me.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:35 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I had Mirena for 3 yrs and I loved it. I felt that the pill made me sick and lowered my libido to non-existent and it made me really tired and irritible. I would say try it our for a few months and if you dont like it have it removed. But its very convienent and you dont have to worry about missing a dose etc. I recommend it. I will go back on it after I have my nest child.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 12:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• IMO I wouldnt get it. My mother in law did and ended up having to have a histerectomy because it tore her uterus. That right there really scared me! Good Luck with your decision
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 12:40 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I have the Mirena IUD and I love it. I have always had problems with other birth controls making me sick or moody, tired and miserable. I can honestly say I haven't had any side effects from the Mirena (except an increase in my sex drive). Having the Mirena inserted was one of the wisest things I have ever spent money on. There are a ton of horror stories out there but there are a ton of good ones too. Just remember that every woman is different and what may work for one may not work for the other. Please do your homework on this subject. Good luck in whatever you decide.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 12:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2008