Can dogs get depressed?

I have a service dog, a Rough Coated Collie, aka Lassie.  Barker found that if something flew past him and he was quick enough, he could catch it.  About two weeks ago he finally caught a Bumble Bee.  His nose got swollen and he had to go to the Vets.  He was groomed later that week, even though I wanted to postpone it until he felt better.  He has been in the 'dumps' since then.  I am going to bring him back to the Vet in the AM, just to be sure he is okay.  He is my lifeline to the outside world. 

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 10:37 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Pets

• I think they have moods just like us humans
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 10:42 PM on May. 13, 2011

• What a sweet dog.. You could maybe get him a new toy, bone, etc.. Spend a lot of time doing things that he can be rewarded for. He may just not be feeling well, and until then that may be why he seems depressed... Hope he's okay, he sure is cute!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:43 PM on May. 13, 2011

• my mom took her dog to be groomed and her dog, seemed to be embarrassed for a few days.
    Yes, dog have emotions.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:46 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I definatly think dogs have emotions, if they can be ecstatic to see us why couldnt they also get depressed...I would baby him and show him extra love and attention for the next few days and maybe get him some treats and new toys. Hope he feels better soon. =)
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:06 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes, dogs can definitely get depressed...it's a good thing that you are taking him to the vet because the symptoms could be caused by something medically wrong.

We had a Siberian Husky who had cataract surgery on both eyes. She healed, but she changed...went from an active and playful dog to one who mostly just laid around. Turned out she had Hypothyroidism.

Good luck to you and your doggie!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:34 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Yes, They can get depressed.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:39 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Absolutely. A dog will mope around and be upset when something bad happens or someone passes just like humans do. And just like humans, you have to let them grieve. Don't baby them or give them extra attention because they will then believe that to be correct behavior, but give them time until they bounce back. Seeing as this was a minor incident and not something like a family member or a doggy friend dying, he should bounce back soon.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:31 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Thank you all for the input. Now that I 'see' Barker felt he could not properly do his job, it must have made him feel redundant, not needed. He is indeed needed and greatly so. The Vet confirmed there was no major damage, no underlying illness, other than hay fever or seasonal allergies, which I now treat him for daily. Barker will once again be back on the job in a couple of days. He knows he is on duty when I put the vest on him. It is mostly at night, when I need to sleep and need someone watching over me. He has noticed the vest has stayed on the dresser and he pulls it down, I try to explain about his nose, I put it on him for a short time. When he has his vest on, he is a different dog. He sits and listens, and I explain his nose can't smell very well now, but, he still wants to work.
    Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 12:19 AM on May. 15, 2011

• What a sweetie!
    averyswifeliz

Answer by averyswifeliz at 3:35 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Yes, the can and often do get depress, just give him extra attention for a while....

Answer by older at 6:00 PM on May. 15, 2011