Did you know that heartburn has nothing to do with your heart?

all it really is is the acid in your stomach irritating your esophogus. I always wondered why drinking cold water got rid of my heartburn! and now that i know that, i know the pepcid AC or tums commercial (can't remember which one it is) that shows the medicine going straight to your heart, and not going through the veins is a lie...btw, no i don't have a reference, i dvr'd The Doctors- TV show on ABC- and that's what they said.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Health

• Yes, it's just an old saying, I guess. Maybe because back in the day they didn't have any idea on modern day health and thought it was a symptom of a heart attack. There are people who have go into ER thinking they were having a heart attack and it just turns out to be stomach related.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:27 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• The commercial doesn't show it going to the heart--it is sliding down the esophagus. GERD is extreme heart burn that many people mistake for heart problems. It is called heartburn because of the location of the pain-----
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Can we say "DUH"?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• LOL i love these kinds of posts...if my heart was burning.. i would be at the ER.. thanks for the water tip.. that's great
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 6:16 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Then why do they have huge bulletin signs saying "heartburn means heartattack?"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• yeah...
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 6:43 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Yes, my 18 ds has acid reflux really bad and was just hospitalized for esophogus problems
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2008