Have you ever pondered if your religious beliefs are a test to lead you away from "the truth"?

For example, if Christian, have you wondered if the Bible is a hoax by Satan to trick you into worshiping him and not God?

bishopblack

Asked by bishopblack at 11:07 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Not that particular thought... sorry!
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 11:10 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I havent gone quite that far but when I was younger I used to wonder all the time how to be sure that MY faith was the TRUE faith...wondering if instead of worshipping God I should be worshipping Buddha or something...but the more I studied the Bible the more it made sense to me, the more I felt in my spirit that this was the right path. Hope that made sense lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:11 PM on May. 13, 2011

• ?? So Satan gets us to worship God via the bible....by worshiping Jesus we are really worshiping Satan?
    What? I don't get it.
    Anonymous

• I never thought of it in that way, but I suppose it's possible that my desire to believe what I was raised to believe was just a way to test my certainty that the real truth lies in what can be proven scientifically. A test by a supernatural scientist? Doubtful. But it is an interesting comparison to think about what I believed when I was growing up, what I tried so hard to still believe as an adult, and what I believe now--which is that what I believed before is a well-contrived fairy-tale based on promises and fear of things that could never be proven to be real.  I do know that I've always questioned what I was being taught, and it was with great effort that I convinced myself to believe the Bible stories, until I reached adulthood and realized that if I had to make such an effort, then it wasn't real to me to begin with.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:17 PM on May. 13, 2011

• LOL...not exactly. I've questioned things for as long as I can remember, and now I practice Buddhism rather than Christianity.

This reminds me of something my husband said recently after someone posted some questions about Satan a while back (and I think we were discussing Gnostic ideas about the OT God/Demiurge too). He said that he always thought it was funny that people say that the greatest trick the Devil ever played was convincing the world that he doesn't exist, and he said he thought the greatest trick the Devil could play would be to convince the world HE was God. I don't believe in literal supernatural beings with human like attributes, so it was just an interesting discussion about a concept from my POV.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:20 PM on May. 13, 2011

• That's why it's important to question everything, and pray about everything you question. If you don't you could be going down some wild and crazy path.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 11:40 PM on May. 13, 2011

• No, my questions have never gone that far
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:27 AM on May. 14, 2011

• lol. If that was the case, Satan would be a real dummy. I've read the end of the Book, and guess what?..God wins! lol
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:50 AM on May. 14, 2011

• "He said that he always thought it was funny that people say that the greatest trick the Devil ever played was convincing the world that he doesn't exist, and he said he thought the greatest trick the Devil could play would be to convince the world HE was God."

That's more or less the same line of thinking that lead to this question.
    bishopblack

Comment by bishopblack (original poster) at 5:09 AM on May. 14, 2011

• God is love, Satan is the opposite, that's how I know.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:15 AM on May. 14, 2011