Should suicide be a criminal offense?

Suicide has traditionally been illegal in many western countries. But with the rise of secularism and doubts about the success of a criminal deterrent, the prohibition of suicide has been lifted in many, for example, the United Kingdom decriminalised suicide in 1961. But with rising suicide rates many have asked the question: should suicide again be made a criminal offense?

PERSONALLY, I've struggled with depression in the past and thought about taking my own life countless times. It's hard to explain how the brain works when it comes to how we all deal with everyday life. I just wanted to hear you guys thoughts on suicide.

LanaisSky96

Asked by LanaisSky96 at 11:19 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Health

• They don't often go to jail. As well as a deterrent, it's a way to MAKE them get help. By making it illegal, they can assign attempters mandatory court ordered therapy or 72 hour hold. If it weren't illegal there would be no way for anyone to be required to get help and they wouldn't get it on their own. Again, as someone who's been there, I never would've gotten help on my own. I was a minor though so it didn't come to court. My parents found my razor blade and had me put on 72 hour hold. It also allows insurance companies to deny life insurance policies in the event of death by suicide which is also a deterrent for people who may try to do it to help their family financially.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:24 PM on May. 16, 2011

• It's to deter people from attempting because there's always the chance that you will fail or be found before you die and end up in prison which is probably a lot worse than the current circumstances. And I'm saying that as someone who's been there before.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:23 PM on May. 13, 2011

• So .. how would they charge someone with a criminal offense if they are dead?! .. hmm..
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:20 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My thoughts exactly 3Happy... What is to be gained by doing this ??
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:22 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I have no idea. There are plenty of crazy laws out there. I guess they try to charge the people who have attempted suicide but failed. Either way it's crazy.
    LanaisSky96

Comment by LanaisSky96 (original poster) at 11:24 PM on May. 13, 2011

• well I guess they can take a coffin to court? that is ridiculous.... I'm in no way condoning suicide however making it illegal is silly since they are already dead. And people that don't succeed don't need to go to jail they need help.

June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:29 PM on May. 13, 2011

• To make it illegal would do nothing but make the situation worse for the person who survived an attempt. They say most attempts are actually more of a cry for help than anything, so what they should do, IMHO, is make it mandatory that for any apparent attempts, the person is admitted into the hospital for a psych evaluation.

I've been there before and you aren't in your right state of mind when you go there. Each and every person would get off if they just plead insanity.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:55 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Wouldn't this go against a person's right to choose what they want to do with their own body? Come on pro-abortion people...you know you want to say it!
    Anonymous

• so it's not illegal to murder your own unborn child but it might become illegal remove yourself from existence? HAHAHAHAHAH
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 12:14 AM on May. 14, 2011

• *don't need to go to jail sorry about that typo!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:05 AM on May. 14, 2011