Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Opening a Daycare

I would love to open a daycare that's open 24,7 . How do I begin, where can I get the money from? What else do I need to know about starting a business? How much do you charge,how do you screen your workers?How much do i know what to pay them?

Answer Question

Asked by mamaofficer at 11:35 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 31 (50,120 Credits)
Answers (20)
  • You need to contact your local DHS office. You have to go through an entire process to even get qualified. I recommend that you contact your state's office for child care regulations and ask them questions about your specific situation. They will send you a packet of information on how to get licensed and the process for starting a daycare business in your state.

    The money will come out of your pocket or you can take a loan out at the bank.

    You can do a background check on them through your local CPS/DHS office, and most often times you can find any criminal history open to the public by searching for your local court system online as well. Look through previous court dockets. However, if they have moved or are not from your current state, you'll need to do a background check in their former state.

    You should also TB test all employees and require them to get a health screening as well as be fully vaccinated.

    Answer by Razelda at 11:41 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • Thanks

    Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 11:42 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • You haven't specified if this will be a home daycare. That's something to consider.

    As far as pay is concerned, I wouldn't even be worried about that right now. Yes it's something to think about, ultimately, but from the sounds of it you're in the VERY early stages of this. You might not have the funds to even get this thing running right now. However, when it comes time, you'll need to look around your area and see what other daycares are paying their employees. Then figure out what you can AFFORD to pay someone and go from there.


    Answer by Razelda at 11:43 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • You need to contact your state licensing person as your first step. Find out what you have to do to even get your license. You can try for a small business loan to get funding. I run a licensed home daycare and I had little start up cost bc I have 3 children of my own. You will want to contact a food program so you can get reimbursed for the food you serve. Every place is different as far as rates go. You will have to research in your neighborhood what the going rate is. Make sure you have everything in place, such as contracts and your handbook. You can run background checks on your employees through the state licenser. At least in WY you can.

    Answer by brani5 at 11:45 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • I worked in a daycare for several years & was hoping to own my, i took a college class & i also talked to my owner that i worked for. You need a degree in early childhood. She also told me she makes hardly any money , at all...... and its a very VERY long process. You have to be examined by the state, and i think she told me it took about 2 years to get everything up and going. You have to jump through all sorts of hoops, given by the state to even open. We charged a pretty high rate, and the problem was, some parents wouldnt pay and left out standing bills. You have to remember your dealing with all kinds of parents , weird ones , crazy ones, and ones that have issues. Your workers have to be cerified and must take classes, and a lot of those you have to pay for. I dont know what state you live in but in NC their trying to make a new law saying every worker must have a 2 year early childhood degree.

    Answer by juniebug11 at 11:45 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • She told me the best advice was to do it at home , you'd make more money and you wouldnt have so many regulations or anything.

    Answer by juniebug11 at 11:46 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • You could join the Home Daycare Providers group here on CM and get a lot of helpful advice!

    Answer by brani5 at 11:48 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • Junie - I know those requirements aren't the same state per state. That is probably specific to her state. My friend has a home daycare and her degree is in business/real estate. She has taken some child care courses, but she does not have a degree in it. Her daycare is fully licensed and approved by CPS in our area. But, she tends to make pretty good money because she doesn't overcharge people so she thoroughly enjoys doing it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • You really need to find out what your state requires. Here you don't have to have a degree to open a daycare.

    Answer by brani5 at 11:49 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • Do anybody know about SC?

    Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 11:55 PM on May. 13, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Need some guidelines

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Pregnancy test ?