Just curious...

why so many questions and answers are marked "Anonymous" in the Religious Debate category. Any ideas??

RobotLady

Asked by RobotLady at 11:42 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Religious Debate

• So nobody knows they're agreeing with the answer they posted under their name.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:13 AM on May. 14, 2011

• People get really....intense in debate...they probably want to avoid stalkers and hate mail
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:44 PM on May. 13, 2011

• The anonymous users are usually the ones to post inflammatory or insulting remarks. It always seemed to me that people who act like that just don't have the integrity to stand behind their statements. Maybe they don't want to reveal themselves as un-Christlike as their actions make them appear (for those who are Christian and use anon to attack others or act in an un-Christlike way...). I can understand in other sections, when you're answering something personal like health issues or relationship problems, etc, or if someone wanted to hide their responses from family members or "real life enemies" on CM, but when someone uses it just as a way to post things that are mean or inflammatory I have to question their intentions and integrity....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:40 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Not always easy...here in Answers they can stalk you Anon...just follow your answers and vote you down or talk a bunch of crap, follow your questions and say mean, nasty things
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:52 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I hadn't even thought of that, NP. In general, I think it's pure cowardess.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:47 AM on May. 14, 2011

• It always seemed to me that people who act like that just don't have the integrity to stand behind their statements.

^^This. 

If someone fears being harassed, they can file a complaint with CM.  There are certain rules that are supposed to apply to everyone, including the one that addresses harassment and personal attacks.  With those rules in place, I think those who post "anon" do so so that they don't have to take responsibility for their comments, and can basically get away with any sort of behavior and never have to be big girls about it.  They feel big and brave hiding behind "anonymous".

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:32 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I've been on CM for a long time, and I've heard many people say that they get "hate mail."

Over all the years I've been here, I've received what would qualify as "hate mail" maybe 4 times. In all 4 instances, they were reported, and in the meantime, they were cowards who put me on block as soon as they sent it so I couldn't reply. Once someone blocks you, it automatically adds them to your block list as well, which means they cannot ever send you a message again unless you go in, see the block, and take the steps to unblock them. In other words, the hate mail thing is really overblown.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:16 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I'll agree with Lucky209 on this one. There are too many crazy people here (yeah...you all know who you are) who won't leave something inside one question, they'll follow that person around.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:50 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't like anonymous questions, but sometimes they are just to compelling to ignore
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:26 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Cuz the Internet is full of crazies!
    pampire

Answer by pampire at 5:09 AM on May. 14, 2011