How long does it take to become a good driver?

im 22 and i do not have a drivers license. i want to learn how to drive and i am thinking about getting my permit monday and hoping that i will be a good driver sometime by september.

thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Some people never get there, their whole lives and never learn to drive correctly. And I don't think it's ever too late to get your drivers license, go for it.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:55 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I'm still not a good driver lol...I'm 27, have my license and everything but...I wouldnt call myself a good driver..I just have the ability to drive LOL
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:57 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Good drivers seem to be an innate ability. Some people just suck at it, even with 20 years driving experience under their belt. Some seem to catch on quickly. I think personality has more to do with it than anything. You cannot be hot headed and be a good driver, just like you cannot have the attention span of a fly and be a good driver.

As far as getting your DL, it should only take a month or two of real practice for you to be able to get it.

I think setting a specific month as a goal for you to "be a good driver" is kind of absurd, no pun intended. Driving doesn't work like that. Ever situation changes the way you have to drive, from what time of day it is, to what kind of passengers you have (if you have small children with you, you have to really be able to tune them out), to the weather. The weather can make DISTINCT differences in the way you need to handle the road.

GL!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 11:58 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I think it's one of those things either you are a good driver or you aren't. Some people are great right at first, others never get it...while most of us are in the middle. I'd say if you got your permit on Monday and you got some practice in, you could be considered a "good driver" within just a few weeks.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:59 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I agree with Keeley, You either are or you aren't. Practice and time can make you better. But hon if you've been trying since your 16 and are 22 now without a license I doubt your ever going to be a great driver. Perhaps sign up for driving school.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:09 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Insurance companies consider you a good driver when you have had no accidents for 3 years.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 5:53 AM on May. 14, 2011

• In PA, car insurance companies consider you high risk until you are 25 years old. I have been driving for 27 years now. I've had one accident and one speeding ticket. i think you have to be able to guess what the car in front of you is going to do. Are they going to stop quick, or turn without using their turn signal. Get a driving instructor if you can and practice, practice, practice.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 8:59 AM on May. 14, 2011