How do you do "hand-me-downs" among siblings? What is the ratio between hand-me-downs and new?

I have three girls, but I only keep things that have held up really well from the last child. Not ripped, stained, worn out, etc. I would say about 25% of the stuff in my youngest's wardrobe has been handed down, and the rest is new.

It makes me think I should be taking better care of the clothes I buy or buy higher quality things that will hold up through a couple of the kids.

I am sure the sporting equipment will be a bigger savings...I think all the kids are set for leotards, ball pants, shin guards, ball gloves, cleats, soccer socks, etc. LOL

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:07 AM on May. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I guess if i had two of the same gender, I would buy better quality things, like jackets, snow boots, jeans, things that dont realy change style too much. Those things I would hand down.If the seasons matched their sizes, that would be a bonus. I am very carefull how I take care of their clothes(wash on cold, hang to dry) that way there is not as much shrinkage or fading. I still have dds' shirts from 3 years ago that look almost new! So if you know you can possible pass things down, (especially with 3 girls) I would see if better quality things and/or taking extra care in washing/drying works for you.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:49 AM on May. 14, 2011

• We were just going through his clothes the other day switching to spring wardrobe and anything that was just too cute for me to give away I saved for the next baby. Like his Winnie The Pooh feety pajamas. Everything else I gave to my friend. She's in a bad way with money right now so I gave her his clothes for her little boy.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:12 AM on May. 14, 2011

• i always buy my kids really nice jackets and rain gear and snow gear the obvious why expend so much money if they are only going to use it for that year crosses my mind at times but hey I can always hand it over the younger brother so is okay .
    I always try to buy really quality clothes they last longer and look great .
    amparoortega

Answer by amparoortega at 12:25 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I find that the cuter outfits or more expensive clothes are more prone to stains. They also seem to spend more time being stain treated than actually worn.
    My girls have different body types so not all of the clothes can be handed down. My oldest dd was born in the winter and I loved her in pink. My second dd was born in spring and I loved her in red! So all the pink clothes I had that had snowmen on them or said things like "burrr it's cold outside" didn't really work;)
    My son is so rough on his clothes I doubt that there will be any left in tact to had down to his brother! lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:33 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I have 3 boys (14, 12, 5 yrs), My oldest generally gets new clothes, as we do not have anyone in the family to hand down to him. My middle gets to look thru older brother's outgrown clothes and pick what he wants, and the rest I put to rummage sale or donate. He also gets a few new outfits as well. My youngest has very few hand-me-downs from his brothers. I do buy most of his clothes from my mom's neighbor. Each year she has a huge rummage sale and she calls me and lets me look thru things before she opens. She has good quality name brand clothes (some new with tags still on). My youngest also gets some new outfits as well.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:58 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I saved pretty much everything from when my oldest was born and was fortunate enough to have them stay in great shape, a lot of the "baby clothes" are now in use for baby #3 (nearly 7 years later)! As far as hand-me-downs, this spring/summer, the only one that needed new clothes was my oldest. He isn't very rough on clothes and my middle son is wearing stuff he wore last year, he is much more rough on clothing so I'm not sure I'll get a 3rd use out of them. I will occasionally buy them a new outfit but we rarely dress up so many of their casual clothes will do throughout the year. New shoes for all about twice a year.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 1:21 AM on May. 14, 2011

• dd 13 get stuff from dd 15 and my niece (who is also 15) but dd 15 get new stuff alot because we dont have anyone to give her hand-me-downs...(but by new i mean thrift stores,consignment stores,yards sales and clearnce racks) ds 9 is so ruff on his things that it always seems like im replacing something...and i get most of his stuff at the same places as dd 15.....dd 13 does get new things twice a year at beginning of school and beginning of summer....to fill in what is need
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:52 AM on May. 14, 2011

• With boys it is even harder. They are hard on clothes. I keep what is in great shape and lose the rest. I don't recycle shoes...I think those are a personal item and form to the bottom of the individual foot.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:35 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I have 3 girls and 2 boys. My boys are 9 years apart so there aren't many hand me downs. I only saved stuff that I really like or had sentimental value. But the girls are 10, 8 and 5 and have had stuff passed down. More so in the baby sizes. And most of that stuff was passed to my oldest from a friend of mine. At one time 90% of her wardrobe was hand me downs. Those all got passed to my 2nd daughter and then to the third. I always bought them a few new things but most of their clothes were hand me down. I never bought better quality. Just whatever we could afford which was wal-mart or Target. We rarely buy name brand. If it's name brand or a boutique or something it was a hand me down or I got it at Goodwill/
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:18 PM on May. 14, 2011