I don't get...

voting up answers. Supposedly more people see voted up answers, but why doesn't the most voted up answer show up at the top? Often I see an answer with a lot of votes buried at the bottom. What gives??

RobotLady

Asked by RobotLady at 12:11 AM on May. 14, 2011 in About CafeMom

• You have to click the "votes" tab to see them in vote order. The default is chronological, oldest to newest. In most sections you need the answers sorted in order because if not, they don't make any sense - you see a reply to a comment on the first page, and the comment it's responding to on the 4th. Only on the very generic questions does sorting by votes make sense.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:16 AM on May. 14, 2011

• My settings are automatically set for OLDEST, so it doesn't matter how many vote ups someone gets, they are still in the order of which they posted. If you want it to be who gets voted up most is on top, you can change your setting to VOTES.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:15 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Votes up and down do not change the order of answers until the question is closed, as I understand it. Then you will see the answers in order with most voted up ones first.

Bumping a question gets it more attention so more people can answer and the OP gets more ideas/help.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 3:52 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I think it bumps the question up to the top of the list for then... but if new people answer the question afterwards, the newer answers go to the top. So if I answer this question on Wednesday and ninety people bump it up, but then tomorrow forty more people give new answers and nobody bumps me up again, I'll be number 41 on the list.
    NickiKidsOnGo

Answer by NickiKidsOnGo at 1:47 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Thanks ladies! It shows how absolutely blind I am. I never noticed the tabs. Now that I know they are there, I am sure I will use them!
    RobotLady

Comment by RobotLady (original poster) at 2:41 PM on May. 18, 2011