Strep B test??

I just had my Strep B test done at my last visit, and I go back on Monday. For some reason I decided to google Strep B test, and now im really really worried about it. What if I have it? and I havnt even known!

Has anyone ever tested positive for their strep B test? I get the results back Monday, but if it was positive do you think they would have called me?

Did it affect your pregnancy, labor, or your child?

juniebug11

Asked by juniebug11 at 12:15 AM on May. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It the test comes back positive, you will have IV antibiotics during labor and the baby will get a dose after birth. It is not a big deal, as long as you get there in time for the antibiotics.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:20 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Strep B is very normal. People cycle through it, most people have it. There are risks and benefits to the antibiotics. It has no effect on pregnancy, but if you are strep B positive at birth (which you wouldn't know unless you had the test when you were in labor, since it comes and goes in everyone), there is a small risk of the baby being infected with it. Systemic Strep B infection is serious... but the antibiotics aren't without risk either.

Do your research. Find a good website (not a .com!), and figure out what is important to you. Strep B isn't really a big deal. You can also do things to get rid of it between now and birth (garlic suppliments or suppositories, hibiclens, etc). Don't freak, mama :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:23 AM on May. 14, 2011

• both of mine were negative, i would not worry so much just make sure that you make it to the hospital in time for your antibiotics. don't stress over it talk to your doctor about it, after all that is what they are there for.

momy_lynn_16

Answer by momy_lynn_16 at 12:24 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I had it, and it was no big deal.. my doc said some percent of women have it and dont know.. it dont affect anything as long as they find out b4 u have baby.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 12:31 AM on May. 14, 2011

• yep tested positve with all 3 kids. I had IV antibiotics while in labor like 2 bags for each one. Just trying to get to the hospital once labor starts is key. All 3 of my kids are fine and healthy:)
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:33 AM on May. 14, 2011

• my oldest i was never checked , second one i noticed issues before she was born they checked i had it so they gave me antibiotics and since third little one was a surprise they went ahead and gave me rush antibiotics before emergency section just in case
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 12:42 AM on May. 14, 2011

• About 30% of women have Strep B at any one time, and most women will have it sometime throughout their life. No big deal.

If you have a midwife and test positive, inquire about "vaginal washing" during labor.
    If you have a medical practitioner, you'll be required to be hooked up to an IV of antibiotics the entire time. ( There is no reason to have the IV if you're going in for a scheduled C-section, though, as your baby will not go through the "infected" area).

Remember, there is only a very small percentage that a Strep-B mom will ever pass Strep-B on to their newborn. But most people believe it's better to be safe than sorry...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:58 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I tested positive, and used a natural remedy to get rid of it, and it did. We planned a homebirth so I didn't use antibiotics or anything. If you do have it though REFUSE vaginal checks. SIL had GBS and doc. did a cervical check and shoved the bacteria into her womb, and sadly it killed her twins.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 1:16 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Don't worry, that's why they do the test so they can give you antibiotics if needed.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:26 AM on May. 14, 2011

• EVERYONE has the bacteria. The test is to see if you have an "over abundance" of it. Even men have it in their digestive tract! I tested positive for it. Which hit me really hard since I wanted no IV at all. But my midwives told me not to worry and that they will just put the port for the IV in, give the dose of antibiotics with the saline IV and then remove the saline line and just leave the port in so I'm not tethered to an IV tree.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:02 AM on May. 14, 2011