S/O of another question: A lot of the things our mothers did back then would now be considered neglect?

Care to explain? Are you simply saying by giving a baby water, you are neglecting him or her? Or by letting the baby CIO you are neglecting him or her? I'm curious on how you think that you were neglected as an infant and are still sane and a functioning adult right now, or are you? My parents raised me back in the day. I am fine. I raised my children the same way, they are fine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on May. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I raise my daughter almost exactly the same way I was raised...well except my mom smoked when she was pregnant with me but of course they didnt know it was that big of a deal back then...I think alot of the things they did back then might not have been the safest thing in the world..I can remember being 6 or 7 and riding in the bed of my mom's truck with the dogs...but neglect? no...just a different time
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:20 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Oh and now if you discipline your children with a spanking or maybe wash their mouths out with soap for saying bad words any kind of discipline other then sitting them in time out or maybe tapping their hands is abuse... I believe that is why the numbers of youth in corrections facilities have more than doubled since you were a kid im talking about the ones 30 years and older. In my opinion we need to tell DHS to shove it once in a while and to stay out of our business so that our kids can be raised  the way we believe they should be.

I am NOT saying leave bruises or cuts and scrapes on a child i am not saying to send hem out back for a willow branch and I'm not saying paddle them with it, all that i am saying is we need to draw a line in what decisions others make for us as parents and maybe there would not be so many kids in foster homes or youth corrections facilities...

momy_lynn_16

Answer by momy_lynn_16 at 1:59 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Rules, laws and regulations change. A lot of the things people did "back in the day" is now consider illegal or neglectful. From not using a car seat to the way you were disciplined. Things change. Sometimes for the good, sometimes not.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:19 AM on May. 14, 2011

• my grandmother smoke and drank when pregnant, and her kids turned out fine, but after researching it years later and finding out all the issues with it do we still believe it's acceptable? No. There are typically reasons WHY we change the standard ideas we had for what was okay and what wasn't. for instance the water you talked about.. there is no real reason to give a child under 6 months water, and no reason to give a child more than 4 ounces a day, water. (plain water that is, not formula that you have to mix with water).. they get enough with nursing or formula and by subbing water for formula or breastmilk they are missing out on vitamins and nutrients. Now once in a while probably won't hurt them.. however there are mothers out there that will just give them water or more water than formula and THAT CAN be harmful to a baby, it could even kill them. Not saying you did, however there are cases of moms doing that.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:51 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I was too busy playing with my toys, climbing trees, roller blading and playing video games to even notice if I was.
    My Mom did our laundry, cooked, my Dad also cooked-he was a chef, and my older sister is like 11 years older than me so if my parents weren't there she was.
    I had it good!!!!!!!!!
    I wish for those days back sometimes.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 2:01 AM on May. 14, 2011

• -I was out of a carseat before age 2-3 i think.
    - On long trips Id sleep on my dads stomach while he reclined the seat back in the car & I remember once when I was sick as mom drove me to the dr I layed my head in her lap as she drove.
    - My mom smoked during pregnancy & while holding me.
    - I was given food before 6mo.
    - I was not breastfed.
    - Latch-Key kid in elementary.
    - No helmets while bike riding..
    Im sure there are more, but that is plenty. Am I OK? Yep. But maybe I wouldnt have stomach issues if I wasnt fed adult food so early, or gave cereal in my bottle. Maybe Id have less weight issues.. Maybe I would have had a higher IQ.. I could have easily been killed during many car rides..

They use to give x-rays to pregnant woman to measure their hips! And I could google 101 other stupid things they did we dont do now. lol
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:24 AM on May. 14, 2011

• You can see the news and read the papers about what has happened to our kids and teens since the "government" took our right to be parents away.
    MechelleMom

Answer by MechelleMom at 9:33 AM on May. 14, 2011

• While a lot of things are considered neglect or abuse it was a different time for instants i never used a helmet while bicycling now if your child is not wearing a helmet it is child endangerment's, if you have a boy and he gets dirty and you don't clean him up before someone else See's him it may be considered neglect he is a boy he is gonna get dirty, whats that saying "Boys will be boys." i don't know but what ever raise your kids the best you know how and try to make good decisions... I know that when I was a kid my parents weren't there all of the time so try to be there for them as much as possible.

momy_lynn_16

Answer by momy_lynn_16 at 1:36 AM on May. 14, 2011

• When you know better, you do better. I don't think that most of the parenting practices that people have described above are actually neglect, but I think that it's different that they were done in the past when people didn't know better and now that we know better we should do better. I think the word 'neglect' is thrown around pretty carelessly by some people, which is a shame because it undermines real cases of neglect.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 8:10 AM on May. 14, 2011

• well my mother smoked and drank and did drugs while she was pregnet with me that still affects me now because i have learning disabilities i have a vary hard time learning and i cant be around people or to manny because i get paranoid that every one ais staring and i have breathing problems i need a pump but i would never do that while i was pregnet i took vary good care of my self an im a vary good mother a beter one then my mother was to me
    jack90

Answer by jack90 at 1:28 AM on May. 14, 2011