How come when some of you

How come when some of you type the word "God", you type G-d? Just curious.

popzaroo

Asked by popzaroo at 1:57 AM on May. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Jews interpret the law given by Moses as a prohibition against transcribing the name of God, because they feel that if God is recorded onto a piece of paper, there is the possibility that the name will be disrespected or destroyed in some way. The general concern with writing G-d in its true form is that it might be erased, defaced by being crossed out or scribbled upon, torn, thrown in the trash, or ravaged in some other way. Writing G-d instead of God communicates the writer’s idea effectively, but since G-d is incomplete, there is no risk of defacement. The Jews have other names for their creator besides G-d, including Hashem, YHVH, Elohim, and El Shaddai, which are also not written in their complete form.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:08 AM on May. 14, 2011

• lol, it's not non-believers who type G-d, it is Jews because they have respect for the name of God and will not write it out anywhere that it maybe deleted, defaced etc.

MmeCS

Answer by MmeCS at 3:55 AM on May. 14, 2011

• nope, non believers of any god, typically use a lower case g.. because we don't call him God by name because we don't believe there is such a thing as a god.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:42 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Like MmeCS, I have always heard that it is a Jewish thing, showing respect for the name of God, not writing it anyplace it could be erased or deleted, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:46 AM on May. 14, 2011

• It is typically a Jewish thing.... NOT something of non-believers. Writing G-d is a sigh of respect...by not writing out God where it would be erased, or defaced.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 8:56 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Like the others said, it's meant to be a sign of respect. Mostly by Jewish believers, and some strict Christian denominations. NEVER by a non-believer, as non-believers have no reason to show respect for a God they don't believe in...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:59 AM on May. 14, 2011

• that is generally the Jewish that do that.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:05 AM on May. 14, 2011

• LOL :-(
    I cant believe my 1st comment got down-voted :-( I was not bashing! That was what i originally thought. and then googled & learn the reason.. and left both comments up

I thought something. researched it. learned I was wrong & learned the right reason... *sigh*
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:39 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I have wondered.
    From what Ive seen, the ones that type G-D are non-believers I think... But still dont know their reason.
    Oh.. Just googled this!
    As a general rule of thumb, practicing Jews do not write the name God because of the laws delivered by Moses which are found in Deuteronomy 12:3-12:4. In this passage, the Jews are instructed to destroy anything and everything associated with their rival’s gods, and they are not to let this happen to their own God. Writing G-d instead of God is one way to prevent others from destroying the name of God.

(cont*)
    MommaTasha1003

• Thanks Tasha. That's very informative.
    popzaroo

Comment by popzaroo (original poster) at 2:48 AM on May. 14, 2011