My milk is drying up. now what?

im okay with letting it dry up. i dont breastfeed but i do pump exclusively and honestly its getting very tiring. is it okay to immediatly switch to formula? will my baby take it? will it hurt her? im literally on my last 4oz of milk left and i do have formula at the house can i give it to her after that milk is gone??

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 3:07 AM on May. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how long has she exclusively breast fed? typically you'll want to introduce it a little at a time.. rather than all at once.. the longer you wait to switch the harder it sometimes can be because some babies don't adjust well to the change.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:16 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I agree with hazel. Ideally, you should switch slowly to make it easier. I would suggest that you keep trying to pump a little longer, to make the transition easier.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:54 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Will it hurt your baby switching to formula? No, unless your baby have allergies. Formula is made to best meet the nutritional needs of the baby. It ( almost) contains all the nutrients necessary. Still as pp said the more you provide your baby with breastmilk the better. Monitor your babies bowel movements, and stay alert of any skin reactions specially and the babies face indicating possible allergic reaction.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 6:09 AM on May. 14, 2011

• The best thing to remember about formula is to not switch brands constantly. This can make baby gassy and upset. So when you do choose to start formula, try and stick with just ONE brand.

Formula does contain ALL of the nutrients necessary for baby to grow. The best thing you can do for your baby is to experience a very happy pregnancy and eat well then. After the child is born it's totally up to you whether you want to formula feed or breast feed. Neither will hurt the little one and both are completely suitable options.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on May. 14, 2011

• The above answers will probably help you in the switching process.

If you would like to try breasfeeding longer and are looking to increase your milk supply, there are a few things you can try. One is a supplement called fenugreek. Also, I've heard that eating oatmeal can help. I eat oatmeal every morning anyway, so I can't say if it would make a difference.

When pumping exclusively, you have to remember to do it every 2-3 hours, or at least 8 times a day, and you must make sure to drain the breast completely to stimulate more production. Breast milk is a supply & demand thing and if you don't create the demand, the supply will dry up.

You can check out La Leche League (www.llli.org) for more resources, and to find a lactation consultant to help you
    NooraK

Answer by NooraK at 4:35 PM on May. 14, 2011

• If your not producing enough milk either talk to your doctor or stop breastfeeding. I wasnt producing enough milk so I had to switch to formula..
    SparkleAndCandy

Answer by SparkleAndCandy at 10:32 PM on May. 14, 2011

• There are things you can do to increase pump output, but if you are done, then just begin using formula. Baby may or may not take it right away, and remember, there is no best formula, the best formula is the one that baby takes and tolerates, and works for your family. I assume that nursing from the breast is not an option for you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:48 PM on May. 15, 2011