Left overs

so i make meals and my husband will eat them for maybe 2 days but the problem is there is still a good portion left over and instead of guaranteeing that it goes bad in the fridge i put it in the freezer for later use when i dont feel like cooking or when we dont have stuff for meals. but him being a man and not ever cooking anything unless it french toast or eggs thinks that its still gonna go bad. its not like im gonna leave it in there for 6 months or something just like a month max. it just drives me nuts he thinks he knows everything and always thinks food will go bad in like 3 days no matter where you store it. I HATE THROWING FOOD AWAY. so my question is really what is the average you can keep things frozen. meats, mashed potatos, pastas, etc.

wifey000175554

Asked by wifey000175554 at 3:38 AM on May. 14, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I use up frozen stuff within a week or two.  This link has good info with a chart at the end. 

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/focus_on_freezing/index.asp

whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 3:42 AM on May. 14, 2011

• awesome link ty
    wifey000175554

Comment by wifey000175554 (original poster) at 3:49 AM on May. 14, 2011

• The above chart is good.

Just because someone is a man, doesn't mean he doesn't cook. My husband cooks on a regular basis. Last night he made a combination of raspberry infused chicken breast and teriyaki turkey breast, roasted asparagus and teriyaki rice. He planned and cooked the whole thing - and is making banana nut muffins for the family for breakfast right now. I cook too, but my husband "being a man" doesn't stand in the way of him cooking.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:38 AM on May. 14, 2011

• If you have too many leftovers & your DH won't eat them, then why not prepare smaller portions? That way you don't end up with the leftovers.

Or you could prepare a meal that the leftovers can be remade into another meal. For example, if you have roast chicken on Monday, on Tuesday you can make shredded chicken tacos with any leftover chicken or a chicken salad or chicken soup, etc. If you made mashed potatoes and some leftover, you can make pan-fried mashed potato patties the next day (add in some chopped onion & shredded cheddar for tasty change). Leftovers don't have to be eaten in their original form, get creative with them.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:57 AM on May. 14, 2011

• @drdonna i didnt mean all men in general i just meant mine im sorry if it came out that way. i was kinda venting at the time too

wifey000175554

Comment by wifey000175554 (original poster) at 3:21 PM on May. 14, 2011

• You know what? I suggest making a Half Recipe----then you won't have so many leftovers.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:35 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I do what the mom above does, make a chicken and use chicken in another meal the same day, or cook 20 hamburgers, make small pot of chili the next day.

Another thing to try, is make a big batch of something in two pans, and freeze one pan for later use. Or break up a pot of soup and freeze it in jars. I plan out my menus by week, but then when I freeze something, I flip ahead, and write that into the square for a blank day with an "f" by it so I don't forget I have it in the freezer. That way, I can still shop what is on sale for the week, buy a lot, freeze and cook ahead.
    Tell your husband to quit complaining, I have a chronic illness, my husband just very recently quit being the chef after two years! How would he like to do that?? Hubby still grills though. I don't do the open flame thing...
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 6:37 PM on May. 14, 2011