My son is 10 months and still wakes up twice a night..

When will this ever end!? My 10 month old son still wakes up at 4am and 6am and then sleeps until 8:30am. I don't know if I should feed him or what I should do because he just cries and cries. I cannot rock him back to sleep...need advice!

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 6:21 AM on May. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's totally normal. Some children do it upwards to two years old.

You shouldn't feed him or even acknowledge him unless he is obviously in distress for 10-15 minutes. Then go in, pat his back, and leave the room. Do not talk to him. Keep the lights off, sound off. Let him fall back asleep. Most adults even wake in the middle of the night, but eventually they fall back asleep. Usually quicker than a child, but it still happens nonetheless.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:28 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Thats a baby for you! My dd's didnt sleep through the night until they were after 18 months and went to bed with a sippy of water.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:52 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Yup my 10 month old twins will sleep from 9 p.m. until 4 a.m., wake up to get changed and get a bottle and fall back asleep until 7 a.m. I believe its normal! It really does not bother me, I am glad they sleep as long as they do.
    theresaphilly

Answer by theresaphilly at 7:00 AM on May. 14, 2011

• try the CIO method. i used this method and both my kids were sleeping through the night at 6 months. however, you must do it RIGHT. CIO method does not mean you sit there and let them scream all night long. when he wakes, do you automatically go in there right away? if so, stop. wait about 10 minutes to see if he'll soothe himself back to sleep. if you have to, put a couple of quiet baby toys in his crib after he falls asleep so when he wakes up he finds them and plays quietly with them until he falls back to sleep. the first couple of nights will be hard, you'll end up feeding him his bottle (if that's what he's waking up for), but i recommend to cut the bottle short, if he takes 8oz, give him 5 or 6oz instead. if you have to, you can gradually work that down at night until he needs none. at 10 months they wake up more out of habit than anything. CIO took about 5 days with my son, 3 with my dd. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:21 AM on May. 14, 2011

• normal! my dd is 15 months and still wakes twice! i try to feed her but she normally just wants to come into our bed and sleep! we r still kinda co-sleeping!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 1:51 PM on May. 14, 2011

• It should end soon
    SparkleAndCandy

Answer by SparkleAndCandy at 10:31 PM on May. 14, 2011