17 year old mom just wondering how long it takes to dry up

im 17 years old and im still breastfeeding my 10 month old and im just wondering about how long will it take to dry up and how to lessen the pain....its been less than 24 hours and it seems like its killing me so if you could just give me some advise i would really appreciate it...thanx so much

bananababy

Asked by bananababy at 11:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just sqeeze out enough to relieve the pressure, don't pump your milk will still come in. I have heard of the cabbage leaves too I never tried them. I used this gell thing that felt really cool I don't remember what it is called. Good luck but it is going to hurt for a while and they get huge and heavy..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• You need to taper off slowly and pump with a breast pump every few hours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• It will take several days. Try cabbage leaves in your bra. Yes, raw cabbage leaves. Weird but true.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:10 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• i too am quitting.. and i am just doing it slowly... i just started feeding him more formula... and less BM every day.. now i am just BFing once a day... i quit cold turkey with my fist son and it was so painful. this has been much easier and much less painful!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 12:13 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• ewww i remember.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Rock on fellow young nursing mama. Why you weaning already?
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Wait....You're nursing....AND drying up? I'm confused. Are you trying to relieve engourgment or wean? Weaning is crazy, especially this young, & especially cold turkey. Your baby needs your milk for much longer than 10mos. Formula doesn't come close to it. If engourgment is your problem even this far along after nursing on demand, try pumping just enough to relieve the pain. I'm here if you need help or info.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:15 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I dont have any advice for you, I just wanted to say in response to those asking why you are weaning "so early" that you did good. 10 months is longer than many mothers and especially at 17. I plan to breastfeed for longer, and great for the others who do - but I think what you have given your baby is great!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I'm confused by your question. You say you are still breastfeeding. Are you wondering how long it will take you to dry up AFTER you wean? It could be anywhere from a few weeks to a year or so. Avoiding pain? Wean gradually, one feeding per week.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2008