What to do with a shy toddler?

What can I do to help her overcome her shyness? I just enrolled her into daycare so she has more interaction with kids. I understand that kids can grow out of it. But my 2-almost 3 yr old girl doesn't have much of a chance, since me, my brother, and mother were all very painfully shy at LEAST through adolescence. And don't tell me to accept her the way she is. I DO accept her, but as someone who was shy throughout her entire school age days, I know that being very shy hurts you in more ways than a "normal" person could know. I didn't have many friends, I hardly dated, and married the first person who gave me a second look. I gave up on college because I felt like I wasn't as good as the people around me. I'm worried if my little girl follows in my footsteps, her life could be very negatively impacted. Studies show that shy people's lives can be SERIOUSLY impacted in a negative way. Any tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• she could just have seperation anziety my daughter has it and she is 3 does she eventually play with other kids? my daughter is shy at first but then she warms up putting her in daycare should help her get over the shyness
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:49 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• To see changes in her--you need to make changes in you. She is picking up on what she sees in her mother. Kids are like little cameras--they are always on and watching. This is not meant to be hurtful--but I would seek out some counseling for you first. Work on your shyness issue and as you heal, you will more than likely see her following your lead. You already know what you have lost to shyness---so take the steps to become a good example to your daughter. Even if it means taking some college classes--like public speaking;-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Talk to daycare and let them know you'd like to make sure she is socializing with the other kids. Try to go one day and watch her interaction to make sure. I used to go to my son's preschool early and watch to see how he was doing.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 9:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• She is her own person so do not visit your issues on her! It is great that you are a sympathetic mom and are looking out for her, but just stay positive and what ever you do don't force her to be who she is not. If she is shy fine, just don't push her to be outgoing because of your past experiences. Baby steps my friend.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:48 AM on Dec. 8, 2008