How old is too old for a stroller?

And once they're done with the stroller, what do you do if they whine about walking?

camiam81

Asked by camiam81 at 8:20 AM on May. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Personally, I think over 3 unless it is being used at a place like Disney, a zoo or somewhere that requires a LOT of walking.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 8:23 AM on May. 14, 2011

• when they can walk very well. my son was out of it by the time dd was born, he was 16 months at the time. dd had some problems physically so she didn't walk until 19 months, so at 20 months she was out of the stroller. for things like amusement parks, we have a wagon :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:25 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I never really used one. Our town was so small but spread out, that it was a waste of money. If I went to walmart, then the regular grocery store I had to drive at least a mile n half, so I wasnt strolling. Then inside the store is a cart. When we went anywhere outside like we used a backpack at first, then when he started to walk he was a walkin machine and probably wouldnt have sat in a stroller. He always wants to walk. Except when we went to Carnivale in Venice, he wanted the stroller, but it isnt stroller friendly so he had to use his Lambourfeetie's!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:30 AM on May. 14, 2011

• My daughter quit using hers around 3. I'm very lucky though, she very rarely complains about having to walk.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:33 AM on May. 14, 2011

• My daughter was done by 2 1/2. My boys were close to 4. Just use it as long as you need it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:03 AM on May. 14, 2011

• three
    AlannaMaria

Answer by AlannaMaria at 9:17 AM on May. 14, 2011

• it depends on the child......dd 15 love the stroler and only gave it up if she had to and stop altogther at about 4 and dd 13 never like the stroller and would rather walk or ride on her dad's shoulders...ds 9 hated the stroller and would run off so we used a harness thing for him....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:41 AM on May. 14, 2011

• It depends on the child & family's needs. Our DS was in a stroller until we couldn't find one big enough to fit him, then we went to a wagon, and when he got too big for the wagon, we stopped going very many places for him that required a lot of walking because he just couldn't handle it & DH didn't want to be carrying him all the time. Eventually we did find out what was wrong & why DS was always in pain & so tired, and now he has a medical stroller (basically it is a wheelchair that cannot be self-propelled) to use when he just can't walk anymore. DS has a neuromuscular disease. This is an extreme example, but there are some kids who have flat feet and/or low body tone (hypotonia) & walking can be painful & exhausting for them, too, so if it is convenient for the family & the child likes it, why not use the stroller for as long as needed/wanted?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:27 PM on May. 14, 2011

• my son did that and i made him see it was fun holding mommy and daddys hand while walking
    alliep2011

Answer by alliep2011 at 2:45 PM on May. 14, 2011