What does sin do???

the so call sin usually hurts or harms in one way or another another person, where is the hurt or the harm in a homosexual loving their partner, who is it hurting or who is it harming? I have read in numerous occasions that just because they are born this way they shouldn't act on it, comparing it to someone who murders, and who might have been born killers, now how is this even come close, when a homosexual relationship harms no one?

Asked by older at 8:56 AM on May. 14, 2011 in Religious Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • "simply won't happen unless Christians are somehow muzzled by the law - which will only be a shallow compliance and not true acceptance"

This will never happen. Religion will continue to have the freedoms it already has. No one will stop you from attending church, or worshipping as you see fit. No one will stop you from believing that gay people should be treated differently b/c of ONE of their sins, compared to the numerous sins I am sure you commit. No one is forcing you to accept gays or teach your kids to accept them. No one is forcing you to teach tolerance.
    However, in the construct of public gatherings, (IE: School) I don't think it's a lot to ask that kids with gay parents be treated with the same respect and tolerance as everyone else. Are you saying you want them to continue to be the victims of bullying along with gay students? B/c it sure sounds that way. And that disgusts me.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:03 PM on May. 14, 2011

• It doesn't hurt anything, people are just so ignorant to what they don't understand. I guess they think if they bash and say hurtful things about gay people, they will all go oh thats bad okay I'll stop being gay... Seriously just let them alone they are just people I don't get why people care so much about who others are dating or marring in none of their business. Lets worry more the starving children in our country, and people going without health care then who the neighbors screwing.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 9:03 AM on May. 14, 2011

• The bible has been translated and revised so many times, that people will never know the "true" words because they were not written in English. The bible was compiled by a group of men who were trying to form their own religion. Seriously, the church ran everything back in those times, if you didn't go through the church you didn't get to pray and you didn't get forgiveness, if you didn't have money you didn't go to church...am I the only one that sees the problem with that. Back when the bible was compiled (it was not written as the bible, the heads of the churches picked from writings what they wanted in their bible) it was a way to control the people, if you didn't follow their way they killed you...what better than to have a book that they made themselves to form the biggest cult on earth??? Besides in the Christian faith everyone is a sinner and someone free of sin has to cast the first stone....Ironic isn't it.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 9:11 AM on May. 14, 2011

• i also don't believe homosexuality can be compared in any way, shape or form with murdering, adultery and other sins. God gave us free will and reasoning, you can choose not to murder someone, you can choose not to be the town slut when you're married. You cannot choose what sex you're attracted to. You are who you are.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:27 AM on May. 14, 2011

• LOL @ bishopblack!

Excellent question, older.  I bumped it for you.

How can it be a sin if no one is hurt?  If there were some sort of coercion involved, then it would be wrong--but that would be the case in heterosexual or pedophilia cases, too, if force or manipulation were involved.  In loving relationships, who is harmed?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:42 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Every time two gay men have sex, God kills a puppy.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 9:00 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Let me just answer the basic "what does sin do?" question.

Sin is something contrary to God's will (some sins hurt others, some just hurt ourselves). God loves us, so He cares, even when we just hurt ourselves.

The consequence of sin is that it separates us from God, and we lose spiritual sensitivity or ability to hear our conscience. Every time we sin (and we all do), it's like moving a radio dial a little more away from the original station; the music becomes fuzzier, and fuzzier, until we can't hear the music at all, and our personal connection with God is lost.

Repentance is how we turn the radio dial back.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 9:46 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Since God did deem homosexuality a sin, those who engage in this act are harming themselves spiritually. It does harm others, not physically but emotionally. How many families have been torn apart because of someone being gay? What about their children being ridiculed in school because they have 2 mommies or 2 daddies? I don't know why God said this is sin and that is sin. Why is it a sin for a brother and sister to have sex with one another if they so desire? They aren't harming anyone, right? Why is it a sin for married couples to swing with other couples? They want to and even claim that it makes their marriage better. They aren't harming anyone, right? Like I said, I don't know why God deemed certain things as sinful, but He did.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:58 AM on May. 14, 2011

• NP ... keep up with me here ... the CONCEPT of marriage began with the marriage covenant instituted by God with Adam and Eve.

No, you keep up. The CONCEPT of HOLY MATRIMONY began with Adam and Eve. The pairing off of individuals or groups into households, bound by civil constructs, has nothing to do with the bible and we have historical evidence of it occurring in Africa, the Middle East, and China long before your religion ever existed. Taoists in China have been getting married as long as there have been people in Israel. They have never had a Jewish or Christian marriage.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:31 PM on May. 14, 2011

• "then you haven't read it - the UN's Child's Bill of Rights will take away a great deal of my parental authority in the name of "tolerance." No we don't advocate violence, but we don't advocate acceptance either and THAT is where Christian parents loose with it. "

If you're teaching intolerance then you are contributing to the hate shown towards gay people. WHY people INSIST that gays are a "special" kind of sinner worthy of feeling hatred from followers of god, I will never understand. If you fear that Bill, maybe there is a reason why you fear it. maybe something needs to change.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:32 PM on May. 14, 2011